Little operation ,medium operation, big operation

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends on where you are, and how big everyone else is around you!... :)

Texas A&M put out some stats a while back don't remeber the exact numbers went something like this.
Average operation in Texas had 12 head this was something like the 80% range.
most of the the other 20% fell in the 25 to 50 head.
less than 2 or 3 % had over 200 head.
The average age of Rancher's in Texas was the vast majority were over fifty.

Campground Cattle":18p27e1n said:

HMMM, that kinda blows the "everything in Texas is bigger" theory

certherfbeef":140k7vzb said:
Campground Cattle":140k7vzb said:

I bet you would be surprised if you started counting how many small operations are around you Cert.

Campground Cattle":1uw75w0n said:
certherfbeef":1uw75w0n said:
Campground Cattle":1uw75w0n said:

I bet you would be surprised if you started counting how many small operations are around you Cert.

We are all small fries out here Camp :D

I just read something recently about the average cow herd.. it's around 30 - 35 I believe.

My perception of large would be over 200 head, medium 100 - 200, small under 100. But then again, I'm in TEXAS. :cboy:

i consider less than 50 small. and more than 500 large. but whatever.

TheBullLady":q8pds6lf said:
My perception of large would be over 200 head, medium 100 - 200, small under 100. But then again, I'm in TEXAS. :cboy:

So according to what Camp just posted...your numbers are way off...

Campground Cattle":2vnoutk3 said:
TheBullLady":2vnoutk3 said:
Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone told me I was "way off". :roll:

I might be the one that is way off I haven't found the TAMU report I read about a year ago, still looking I did find this one.

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/beef ... y2005.html

Excerpt from the link posted by Camp

"SIZE AND DISTRIBUTION OF BEEF COW HERDS

The majority of beef cow herds are small. Average herd size in the U. S. is 41.6 cows. (Connecticut has the lowest at 7.5 cows/herd, Nevada the largest at 175, Texas averages 41.2) Over 78% of herds have less than 50 cows, and less than 1% have over 500 cows. However, herds of less than 50 head have only about 29% of the total cows, and herds over 500 head have almost 15 % of the cows. These distributions have not changed much over the years and, barring unforeseen drastic economic changes, probably will not. (USDA - National Agricultural Statistics Service - Report on Livestock Operations, April, 2004) "

The majority of the cattle producers are small operations. However only 1% of the total producers make up 15% of the total cows. Interesting stats. I was surprised that these percentages have been stagnant over the years.

Thanks Camp for posting that link.

Greg

COW NUMBERS AND LOCATIONS
The USDA 2002 Census of Agriculture shows some interesting facts about the nation's beef cow business. From 1997 to 2002, the number of beef cow operations in the U. S. went down about 11 percent, to a little less than 800,000 operations. (Dairy operations declined even more, about 26 percent.) Almost all of the drop was in small operations, those with less than 50 cows, while herds above 100 cows increased slightly. Still, in 2002 over 90 percent of the herds had less than 100 cows, with a little less than 50 percent of the total cow numbers. Between 8 and 9 percent of the operations had between 100 and 500 cows, with about 38 percent of the total numbers. Operations with over 500 cows represented less than 1 percent, but they had almost 15 percent of the cows.

This is from TAMU also still haven't been able to find the demographic report that gave the age brackets on Ranchers.

I went to an Estrous Synchronozation class last night and the instructor said that in Missouri right now, the average cow herd is 34 and about 80% of operators have 50 cows or less.

TheBullLady":3s0rrgfd said:
I have also heard the "80% of the operations are 50 cows or less". That seems really hard to comprehend, doesn't it?

There is usually a direct relation to cow herd size and the amount of pasture land under your control. Majority small land owners =small herd size.
your friend
Mike

TheBullLady":nmyib9i6 said:
I have also heard the "80% of the operations are 50 cows or less". That seems really hard to comprehend, doesn't it?

Not really start paying attention as you are driving around the state. You actually don't see many larger operations.

Latest posts