Listless 9 month ole calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Banks

Reaction score
Calf eats very little grain (2-3 lbs ever 2 days) eats no hay, drinks water. This calf just doesn't seem to be right, it looks OK but just doesn't have any get-up!
This heifer has been this way for about 4 - 5 weeks. During this time I've give the Vet. these symptoms, and she gave me ( baytril 30cc, Bo-Se 15cc, Banamine 6cc, Vit.b 10cc, Vit.a-d 2cc) I gave the calf this and it has been a week now and I don't see any difference.

Mild 103 degrees. This calf looks like it may be bloated on both sides at times. Otherwise it looks fine. This is a calf that I've save back from last years crop for replacements. All my cows I 've raised from holding back so I 'm very familar with these animals. They have excellent mangement.

Suppose your right, what can be done if anything?
The vet hasn't been out to see this heifer yet, maybe it's time!
I was hoping that we could get thru this without a vet visit, not-to-be!!

Thanks

If it's a twisted gut and the vet thinks it is, ask him/her what can be done. I heard of a cow being rolled over onto it's back to fix it but that's a "heard of" not a "seen it"

i had a 6 month heifer die suddenly last year.she was fine and had been eating and drinking,next day when i see her she is on her side and listless.i got her up to walk her to the corral and she had alot of trouble making it very far,finally she laid down.took her temp and it was in the 80's.so i knew she was pretty much done for at that point.30 minutes she was dead.took her to the vet cause i was pretty worried we may have a big problem.vet cut her open n the bed of my truck and found twisted intestines.he said very rare n a animal this young.nothing really caused it he said just bad luck.

I am thinking an impaction ,get your vet out asap. Try drenching her with vegetable oil and see if that helps ?

It may also be a perforated ulcer in which case there usually is not a happy ending.

hillsdown":2fwjcpq1 said:
I am thinking an impaction ,get your vet out asap. Try drenching her with vegetable oil and see if that helps ?

It may also be a perforated ulcer in which case there usually is not a happy ending.
What does drenching them with vegetable oil do? How do you do that? Thanks in advance.

Did you have her posted or at least cut her open and see if you could figure out what the problem was?

No, I didn't the Vets around here are not to interested in working with large animals, they show that by saying "That will be quite-a-bit of Money" but that's up to you!!!
It would've been a benefit tho! That was my first time since I have had cattle that I've seen that with a calf of her age. Looking back on what I've went thru the last 5-6 wks. I believe this calf may have been working up to this, I really didn't notice anything until after I wean her. Which I weaned this year a little early because of the dry weather, she was 4 months old , everything else was 5.5 months.

Kingfisher":3jhgxf21 said:
hillsdown":3jhgxf21 said:

What does drenching them with vegetable oil do? How do you do that? Thanks in advance.
Nothing much but mineral oil will clean her out good.

Latest posts