Liquid Supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

SaskHerf

Reaction score
This is just a spin off of the supplement tubs thread, but i have been more interested in using a liquid supp. this fall when the cattle are out grazing, but there is poor feed quality. Have heard pros and cons of lick tanks, but would be interesteed to hear what you all thought.

SaskHerf":67sd4jqj said:
This is just a spin off of the supplement tubs thread, but i have been more interested in using a liquid supp. this fall when the cattle are out grazing, but there is poor feed quality. Have heard pros and cons of lick tanks, but would be interesteed to hear what you all thought.

We have used promolas for the cows in the fall and early spring, I thought that it worked well. It certainly worked better than the supplement tubs that we have used in the past. When we used them we would go through 2-3 a week (80 cows) they ate it like candy, where with the promolas it seemed a lot more controlled.

I wouldn't ever use it again with freshly weaned calves though. We had calves that weren't eating anything except the promolas, by the time we figured out what was wrong with them they had lost a lot of weight. There is a reason that it is called a "supplement" ;-) . Once they are on feed, and grain though I think it is very useful, especially if they have poorer quality feed.

In my experience the few companies I tried could never get it formulated right. Either the were eating way too much or none at all. I dont care for it in the pasture much, it seems to concentrate the cows more than I like. Just my 2 cents.

randiliana":1qef57ef said:
SaskHerf":1qef57ef said:

It certainly worked better than the supplement tubs that we have used in the past. When we used them we would go through 2-3 a week (80 cows) they ate it like candy, where with the promolas it seemed a lot more controlled.

Wow! :shock: I'm curious as to what brand of supplement tubs you were using, because our herd is very similar in size to yours and we've never gone through 2-3 tubs in a week.

If you want to control consumption on tubs get them away from water. If put in seldom used areas of the pasture consumption is usually correct and it also works as a pasture utilization tool. I used to put them near water and damn near went broke doing it!

msscamp":11rb6ccf said:
[

Wow! :shock: I'm curious as to what brand of supplement tubs you were using, because our herd is very similar in size to yours and we've never gone through 2-3 tubs in a week.
[/quote]

I'm not sure exactly what it was called. Most likely just the generic type, as we got it from the local co-op and pool elevator.

I quit using liquid 2 years ago because my cows where eating me out of house and home. If I remember correctly they where suppposed to eat 1 1/2 to 2 lbs/day, but mine where more like 3-4 lbs/day. I went to using sweetlix tubs. They are much cheaper and alot easier to control intake.

Latest posts