Liquid fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Any one know about a hay field being fert with liquid and not getting the rain on it for 6-8 weeks.

A friend told me he was told to cut and rake his hay field and burn it, he was told it would kill his cows and horse to let them eat it because the N was to high in the grass stalk.

if this is true I sure don't want any hay from it.

Have a sample sent to a lab nitrate levels under 1500 ppm I wouldn't worry to much. Anything over that up 5000 ppm you could feed in a ration along with high energy feeds such as shell corn and other grains without any other non protien nitrogen source. We feed .25 pounds per head per day of urea to our cattle without problems. I can't imagine the levels of nitrates would be much higher than that in the hay maybe they are I don't know. Lab results will tell you for sure. I wouldn't just burn the hay it might be needed to get someone thru winter.

I'd sure test it before I burnt it.

dun":2n5d2j6w said:
Any one know about a hay field being fert with liquid and not getting the rain on it for 6-8 weeks.

A friend told me he was told to cut and rake his hay field and burn it, he was told it would kill his cows and horse to let them eat it because the N was to high in the grass stalk.

if this is true I sure don't want any hay from it.

Dun I regularly use liquid with no problems it will look like its burnt and come out growing like a weed. Now this is on what little Coastal or Common I have doesn't seem burn the Bahia as bad.

I believe I'd contact the maker of the fertilizer to see if there are any restrictions we're not thinking about. If no specific restrictions I'd test it for nitrates.
If it can't be fed, is it too thick to cut and let it lay? If you haven't had rain in 6-8 weeks I wouldn't think there would be much growth and leaving it lay as a mulch would conserve what moisture is in the ground. If it's too thick to let it lay and can't be fed I'd investigate making compost before burning it. At least you could recycle the fertilizer that way.

Latest posts