• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Line/Tree trimming by Helicopter................

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The helicopter hangs a long cable way down to a chainsaw type rig. This guy hovers, slowly lowers, and maneuvers to trim what he's after. It would take a set to do this job. Pretty amazing.......

Around the 5 minute mark it shows the saw at work.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpwZ6c6ykNk

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
jltrent":xq77gk5y said:
The helicopter hangs a long cable way down to a chainsaw type rig. This guy hovers, slowly lowers, and maneuvers to trim what he's after. It would take a set to do this job. Pretty amazing.......

Around the 5 minute mark it shows the saw at work.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpwZ6c6ykNk

Pretty common here by the pipeline companies.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Wow! The feds contract a lot of aerial surveilance work by helicopter. They are precise machines but it is only a matter of time until that gets fouled up in a power line.

greybeard

Reaction score
Bright Raven":ih93z1um said:
Wow! The feds contract a lot of aerial surveilance work by helicopter. They are precise machines but it is only a matter of time until that gets fouled up in a power line.
That is what the pickle handle/button is for. Any helo that is equipped to carry an external sling load has a quick disconnect hook.
Trip it, and whatever is suspended below drops free.

On the older helos, it was a handle, sort of like an emergency brake handle on a car. It actually pulled a cable that released the pelican hook.

Nowadays, it's all electronic over hydraulics most of the time. Typical of a modern transport helicopter's cargo and winch control console. (this one has 3 different hooks, so 3 different settings + 'all'.

picture upload

Bright Raven

Reaction score
greybeard":25lljivc said:
Bright Raven":25lljivc said:
That is what the pickle handle/button is for. Any helo that is equipped to carry an external sling load has a quick disconnect hook.
Trip it, and whatever is suspended below drops free.

On the older helos, it was a handle, sort of like an emergency brake handle on a car. It actually pulled a cable that released the pelican hook.

Nowadays, it's all electronic over hydraulics most of the time. Typical of a modern transport helicopter's cargo and winch control console. (this one has 3 different hooks, so 3 different settings + 'all'.

picture upload

That makes good sense. Just got to trust that the quick detach doesn't malfunction.

millstreaminn

Reaction score
The guys trimming the trees on the power lines at my farm were staying at my hotel. After work the pilot offered to take me for a ride from my farm to the hotel and back. Was only about an 8 minute flight each way but was cool. First time I've ever been in a chopper.

Another time we were putting an addition on the hotel and couldn't easily set the last 2 trusses with the crane we hired. We had a pilot staying at the hotel and he offered to set the last 2- 50' trusses with the gas companies chopper. We laughed when he offered, he said I am dead serious. We respectfully declined.

ez14.

Reaction score
The chopper needs the island hoppers paint job!

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
They are used quite a bit around here in rough places. They do a dang good job trimming trees, but I do not want to be in 100 yards of one when it is working. It is amazing how far they will throw limbs.

Latest posts