Limping Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
3 year old, otherwise healthy, cow, pregnant, limping rear leg, no apparent abrasions, cuts, swelling. Just noticed this afternoon.

Brought her into the barn into a 30'x30' area w/water, food and grain to allow her to eat, etc w/o extensive walking around. I will put her in shoot tomorrow to evaluate hoof/leg.

Looked at posts "limping". Possibilities are foot rot, imbedded metal material(nail), compacted and infected material in hoof.

Didn't see sprained / broken leg.

Assuming problem with foot/hoof several injectables were mentioned in posts. Do any of these medications have contraindications for pregnant cows (no cortisone medications(spontaneous abortion)): banimine, LA-200, Excenel/Naxcel, Nufor, Penicillin, others?

Thanks

Better determine there's a bacterial infection going on before you start shooting her up with antibiotics. There's no reason for indiscriminant use of antibiotics. That said, dexamethasone and predef are the main drugs you wouldn't want to use (corticosteriods - will make her abort). Banamine is OK, penn, LA200, Excenel, etc are all fine on bred cows. Keep in mind they do carry a slaughter withdrawal, just as a side note.

A little more info on the cow would be nice too. How far along is she?

milkmaid":1xje6dq8 said:
Better determine there's a bacterial infection going on before you start shooting her up with antibiotics. There's no reason for indiscriminant use of antibiotics. That said, dexamethasone and predef are the main drugs you wouldn't want to use (corticosteriods - will make her abort). Banamine is OK, penn, LA200, Excenel, etc are all fine on bred cows. Keep in mind they do carry a slaughter withdrawal, just as a side note.

A little more info on the cow would be nice too. How far along is she?

I agree, but he needs to know what to shoot (so he can have a bottle of it onhand) before he runs her up in the chute. If I had to make a completely blind guess, I would say Naxcel. Though if it is not hoof rot related, PennG or LA 200 might be better.

Cow is 6 months along. Wouldn't give anything until I knew what the issue was. Wanted to know what I might need to source and where I could get it quickly.

Thanks for your responses.

I haven't put the cow in the chute yet, but she was laying down and she had her hoof exposed and I was able to get within 3 feet of her. I could see the top and underside of the hoof and there didn't appear to be anything abnormal (no swelling, weeping, blood, no split or broken hoof).

What are the characteristics of hoof rot?

Latest posts