Limi update!

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
We finally got halters on our limi heifers tonight and my sons littlest hereford. We are trying something new with these to avoid the "fight". We have a good metal corral and working chute. We put the heifers in the chute, put halters on them and tied them up in the chute.One of them threw a fit but after that she stood pretty good and let us brush her. Every once in a while they would pull back, but it didn't take them long to give it up. Hopefully this will work and we can avoid all the drama we had last year with the commercial heifers. My son thought this was silly so he wanted to try to hang on to his hereford. He hung on for awhile, but she pulled away and hurt his hands. My husband caught her and my son was trying to put another halter on her so he and my husband could hold her. Just as he was about to put it on her she ran into him and knocked him down on his back side. After I saw he was ok, I wanted to laugh so bad but I contained myself! (you had to be there!)All the while, the limis were standing quietly letting us brush them. We will do this for this week then see what happens when we tie them outside the chute and try to lead them.

You're on the right track.

Anytime I'm halterbreaking anything that weighs enough to drag me around, it gets to stand tied until it decides to give in. There's no way in the world I'm going to wage a war with an animal that weighs 8 times or more what I do, and besides, there isn't time in a day for that. I rope 'em, snub 'em, and let them stand tied until they learn to respect the rope and halter.

Got an 18 month old springer I'll be working either tomorrow or Tuesday. I brought her in the close pasture tonight, and I can tell right now she'll be doing a lot of standing. :lol:

I guess my son thought he could hold the heifer-she is a march born and he is 145 lb 13 yr old boy-thinks he can take on anything! I guess she showed him. I hope he don't have rope burns or blisters in the morning with it being the 1st day of school! I was really proud of the limis, though. There is no way we can fight them-they will be a yr old next month. I hope we can have them ready for the county fair next month. The heat wave we had really put us behind. We were afraid to work them it was so hot.

Keep doing what your doing. I have found that if you will wash them while they are in the chute several days that it really gentles them down. After a wash and dry they will usually let you walk them out and tie them somewhere without much trouble.

Thanks-We'll try washing them while we have them tied. We just don't have any electricity down at the barn to blow dry. Hopefully we will get that situation remedied by next spring.

Latest posts