lil red surprise I got today

Help Support CattleToday:

TagandKiss

Reaction score
What a day. We own a 19month old longhorn heifer. we brought her when she was 10months got her at 11months. Me and my grandpa talked about breeding her(some kind of cross to get a cow for butching)(this was when she was at 16months old). but we didnt, good thing too. Well i was out graining the horses and was looking for the heifer cause she always comes too. I seen her at the very end of the pasture by the fence. I seen this brown thing. I figure it was the neighbors dog picking a fight with the cow. So i went back to feeding the horses looked up a lil bit later cause she still hadnt came. I seen this brown thing suckling! :shock: I was like ok. So i get out of the pasture(didnt want the horses to follow down there) i run down there i get closer i am like is it a baby deer :eek: nope its a lil red longhorn heifer :shock: i was shocked she is only 19months old. well the horses came running down to see. So i ran back got them all in the corral.

So i got my grandpa and he came down and looked at it. she look fine and was up walking, trying to run but hadnt got it down yet :lol: the mom was eating the after birth so all that came out. She is being a great mom but i am worryed about her milk. her udders dont look to big. We kept a eye on them all day and the udder seem to get bigger but still not what i would think they should be. but the baby is getting milk i watch her suckle. she got milk all over her face :lol: When i check on them last the baby was up and running around and checking out the spinklers and the trees.

My question is since we didnt know she was pregant she didnt get no special nothing she had alfafa hay during the winter with grain and pasture grass and grain int he spring. Its really good pasture grass(it would make great grass hay well thats what everyone says lol) is there any kind of grain i should put her on? or anything? how big should a first time longhorn cows udders be?

sorry i am a noobie when it comes to cows and was not excepting a baby :oops: you can see photos here http://webpages.charter.net/gier00/fallanhope/oreo.html

Leave her be to raise her calf. If you notice the calf nursing very frequently or going from teat to teat over and ovewr, then will be the time to try to supplement the cow for more milk.

dun

Both cow and calf look like they're doing fine from the pics. I don't think you have a thing to be worried about.

Thanks all. I just wanted to make sure. just checked on them they both sleeping so cute :) her udder look really full in the back and empty in the front but last night it was the other way around. so i think the baby is getting good doses of milk.

Latest posts