License

Help Support CattleToday:

Alabama now has a baiting license that you can purchase to legally put out corn 🌽 for deer . After 65 you don't have to buy a hunting or fishing license but you do the baiting license.

Is there anyone on this board old enough to remember not having a driver license? 🙂
You didn't need one to drive farm vehicles going to and fro markets, gins, grain elevators, etc, or to and fro fields., Didn't even have to be 16. And when I turned 16, you didn;t have to get a separate motorcycle license.

Back when I was a kid a hunting and fishing license let you hunt and fish for everything. You needed a elk and deer tag but they were over the counter. Now you need a special tag or permit for each different thing.

My grandmother never had a license to drive!

I do remember when ya didn't have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your regular license.

Reminds me of a story my grandpa used to tell about the big hill on Broadway. He said way back when.... model T and A Era, you could go as fast as u wanted to down that hill and nobody would stop ya. Long as you didn't go over 35! 🤣

We didn't need a hunting/fishing license until we were 16, and didn't have to be with an adult or have hunter education before getting a license.
We were allowed to drive anything with farm tags, and tractors, without a license.

I had a "hardship permit" to drive a regular (non-farm) vehicle when I was 12. You had to have your parents and at least one non-family "upstanding resident of the community" also vouch for you. It was just a slip of paper the sheriff signed that you kept with you in the vehicle, and there was no driving test. It only permitted you to drive back and forth to a job or to school, and couldn't have passengers. That was never enforced to my knowledge.

I didn't need a permit/license to apply chemical or fertilizer.

My first long gun was ordered from Sears (a single shot 20 ga. Harrington and Richardson). I picked it up at the local Sears "catalog store" that was shared with Montgomery Ward. No paperwork that I recall. I think that was about 1980/81.

I was talking to a guy that cuts hair. I had no idea that people had to have a special license for that. And he said the salons that do nails require special licenses for doing that.

I quit fishing when every puddle in the state started to demand different rules. When I started fishing it was a ten fish limit... period... no mater where you fished or what size or kind of fish. Now you have to carry a tape measure and know all the rules for the particular water you are on as to fish length, type of fish, specific dates, and numbers from that particular body of water. It's nuts. And only being allowed two or three fish isn't worth digging for worms, much less keeping a nice set of expensive flies.

I was talking to a guy that cuts hair. I had no idea that people had to have a special license for that. And he said the salons that do nails require special licenses for doing that.

I quit fishing when every puddle in the state started to demand different rules. When I started fishing it was a ten fish limit... period... no mater where you fished or what size or kind of fish. Now you have to carry a tape measure and know all the rules for the particular water you are on as to fish length, type of fish, specific dates, and numbers from that particular body of water. It's nuts. And only being allowed two or three fish isn't worth digging for worms, much less keeping a nice set of expensive flies.
I haven't bought a fishing or hunting license in over 10 years. As long as we buy the fish from privately funded fishery to stock our own ponds (and not take the "free" game and fish stocking), we don't need a license. We're supposed to have a hunting license to even hunt on our own place, but as long as we don't post our harvest on social media or go bragging around, I've never heard of the warden visiting.
My kids buy the license because they hunt on forest service too. They also keep the freezers full, so I haven't killed a critter in many years. I just help process and eat, and serve as a hunting guide and hook baiter for the grandkids.

We didn't need a hunting/fishing license until we were 16, and didn't have to be with an adult or have hunter education before getting a license.
We were allowed to drive anything with farm tags, and tractors, without a license.

I had a "hardship permit" to drive a regular (non-farm) vehicle when I was 12. You had to have your parents and at least one non-family "upstanding resident of the community" also vouch for you. It was just a slip of paper the sheriff signed that you kept with you in the vehicle, and there was no driving test. It only permitted you to drive back and forth to a job or to school, and couldn't have passengers. That was never enforced to my knowledge.

I didn't need a permit/license to apply chemical or fertilizer.

My first long gun was ordered from Sears (a single shot 20 ga. Harrington and Richardson). I picked it up at the local Sears "catalog store" that was shared with Montgomery Ward. No paperwork that I recall. I think that was about 1980/81.
Well that's crazy my first gun was a single shot 20 gauge h&r and came from Sears also ...that was 1974ish
All three of us boys received the same gun. I remember being so proud when I got that gun.

Well that's crazy my first gun was a single shot 20 gauge h&r and came from Sears also ...that was 1974ish
All three of us boys received the same gun. I remember being so proud when I got that gun.
If I'm not mistaken, it was $54. I sold a homemade go-cart to a neighbor for $60 and had enough left over to buy a couple boxes of shells.

Yes, mine is chambered for 3 inch. I still have it. All my kids have used it at one time or another, and a couple of grandkids. Not sure who's going to get it when I'm gone.