lice

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:mad: My show heifers have LICE!!!! They must have gotten it from the stall we let them run in and out of. I called
the vet and he gave me some high powered liquid to pour on
the topline( did it sunday). My question is: they both have
bald patches on their necks. Our 4-H show is the last week of
June.Will the hair grow back in time? :roll: Should I treat them once a month to keep the lice off? ( I can not remove them from this location) . Can people catch cattle lice?
HELP!!!! I need advice , never had to deal with this problem
before! Thanks to all! :oops:

holly heifer":31o73hst said:
:mad: My show heifers have LICE!!!! They must have gotten it from the stall we let them run in and out of. I called
the vet and he gave me some high powered liquid to pour on
the topline( did it sunday). My question is: they both have
bald patches on their necks. Our 4-H show is the last week of
June.Will the hair grow back in time? :roll: Should I treat them once a month to keep the lice off? ( I can not remove them from this location) . Can people catch cattle lice?
HELP!!!! I need advice , never had to deal with this problem
before! Thanks to all! :oops:

Your vet probably knows best for your situation in your area. This year I've been lucky and have not had much of a problem with lice, but we sometimes get em in the colder parts of winter. They usually rub the hair from the itching. We use the dust bags and the rubs for them.

Your show is in June, so you probably have enough time for them to grow their hair back. How big are the bald spots?

I'm not aware of people being able to catch cattle lice, but I admit I'm certainly not an expert.

I think you are already on the right track. You've had your vet out. Keep talking to your vet. There are several products that will help, but I'm not familiar with your area or your cattle. Your vet will advise you best.

Good luck

ours grow back about 1mo when cold 2mo in summer but be carful when ours have lice in the winter i treat them once a month til the show sometime it comes back if it does its to late close to the show

Latest posts