letter

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
My good friend sent out a form email letter informing all of us that she would not be celebrating Christmas this year, not baking, not having her annual Christmas dinner party, not sending cards, not buying gifts for her clients or anyone else-nothing-zilch nada-She said it was just too much stress for her anymore, sick of the way Christmas has become commercialized, instead she will go away for a few days with her dog, and give a donation to her favorite animal shelters.

I asked her if there was something wrong-and she said as we age we change just the way it is-BUT I think there is more to it than that, but maybe not.

She is turning 50 tomorrow maybe a mid life crisis-if women get those?

This leads me into thinking why are so many people letting holiday traditions die? It shouldn't be about black Friday or even gifts-isn't there a special feel to the holidays-the first snow, baking cookies getting a tree, some of my favorite things, seeing family and friends-after all Christmas is only 1 day a year, seems so lame to me that my friend has opted to opt out-

What do you all think-Has Christmas lost its true meaning?

Our local Walmart has had Christmas items out for a month, which irritates me. I've always been one that didn't compare my gift, or no gift to what I received. I'd rather spend the day with friends and family and making sure I get my 83 year old mama to midnight Mass.

GMN":2d03je6t said:
My good friend sent out a form email letter informing all of us that she would not be celebrating Christmas this year, not baking, not having her annual Christmas dinner party, not sending cards, not buying gifts for her clients or anyone else-nothing-zilch nada-She said it was just too much stress for her anymore, sick of the way Christmas has become commercialized, instead she will go away for a few days with her dog, and give a donation to her favorite animal shelters.

I asked her if there was something wrong-and she said as we age we change just the way it is-BUT I think there is more to it than that, but maybe not.

She is turning 50 tomorrow maybe a mid life crisis-if women get those?

This leads me into thinking why are so many people letting holiday traditions die? It shouldn't be about black Friday or even gifts-isn't there a special feel to the holidays-the first snow, baking cookies getting a tree, some of my favorite things, seeing family and friends-after all Christmas is only 1 day a year, seems so lame to me that my friend has opted to opt out-

What do you all think-Has Christmas lost its true meaning?

I still look forward to Christmas just like when I was a kid....Begins with the Advent Candle, family all together if possible, good food and fellowship, midnight mass, Christmas story. We actually try to celbrate the "12 days of Christmas".

My tell all of the family to spend their money on their families and don't worry about us. We've already got more than we deserve. Wish we could get the snow occasionally...it's usually just a wet drizzle. :nod:

I will continue to celebrate our Lord's birth as I always have. One of my joys is packing shoeboxes for Samaritan's Purse. Time to do that now. Not many left in my family for a big celebration like we used to have. My mother is almost 91 and in assisted living, although she is in the hospital right now. Daughter is in New York and probably will not come home. Just have one sister and she lost her husband three weeks ago. Our Christmas will be sad this year at the best.
I will do my best to see that we have one. Cards will be mailed to family and friends, the tree decorated and a wreath on the front door.
Christmas music practiced for our church services for the month of December. I love the Christmas carols, but must practice a lot to be ready.
Always love to bake a lot for Christmas, but health problems may keep me from so much of that this year. I like to share goodies with others.
Yes, I am getting older, but that will not keep me from continuing my Christmas celebration. No grandchildren yet, but I will see that my Grandcalves have a special treat! Another thing I try to do is take cookies to my friends at the livestock auction. We lost one of them this year.
I pray that 2015 will be a better year. We have lost three family members and many friends this past year. Two young men that I taught lost their lives in unfortunate circumstances. Now Mama is very sick and I am having health problems.
As Christmas draws closer, I will do my best to continue our traditions. I hope other families will too.

We've certainly de-comercialized christmas around here.. we might get/give one gift, and we're only a family of 3.. Usually it's a bottle of good scotch, a pocket knife, or something like that.. We have a good christmas dinner, and we decorate a tree some years, other times we decorate the house up a little and hang some lights.

I would be completely in favor of banning any christmas music before december 1st, as well as any advertising involving it until then.. It dilutes the christmas spirit, not strengthens it....

Other than the "true" meaning of Christmas, I have no use for the holiday whatsoever. I insist on nobody giving me a gift. Decorations are the worst part of it all. I also get my children very little for Christmas. If you get them an ammerman saddle for Christmas , your just doing your job, and it doesn't seem appreciated. Come in with one on a pretty day in June, when they can actually use it, and your a hero.

Christmas is but one day and I celebrate that but its the other 40 days leading up to it and all the nonsense and commercialization is what I don't like.

Williamsv":3dxofv8b said:
I will continue to celebrate our Lord's birth as I always have. One of my joys is packing shoeboxes for Samaritan's Purse. Time to do that now. Not many left in my family for a big celebration like we used to have. My mother is almost 91 and in assisted living, although she is in the hospital right now. Daughter is in New York and probably will not come home. Just have one sister and she lost her husband three weeks ago. Our Christmas will be sad this year at the best.
I will do my best to see that we have one. Cards will be mailed to family and friends, the tree decorated and a wreath on the front door.
Christmas music practiced for our church services for the month of December. I love the Christmas carols, but must practice a lot to be ready.
Always love to bake a lot for Christmas, but health problems may keep me from so much of that this year. I like to share goodies with others.
Yes, I am getting older, but that will not keep me from continuing my Christmas celebration. No grandchildren yet, but I will see that my Grandcalves have a special treat! Another thing I try to do is take cookies to my friends at the livestock auction. We lost one of them this year.
I pray that 2015 will be a better year. We have lost three family members and many friends this past year. Two young men that I taught lost their lives in unfortunate circumstances. Now Mama is very sick and I am having health problems.
As Christmas draws closer, I will do my best to continue our traditions. I hope other families will too.

Good post.

I love Christmas! It's my favorite time of the year. It seems to never fail that every year by the time September rolls around I've about had it up to my neck with life and feel as if I'm about to go under for good. By November I can get pretty depressed and then Christmas comes. I know what Christmas is about and I love the true Christmas story. I'll read it several times from Matthew, Luke and John. The story is magical. I love the Christmas carols I even listen to them throughout the year from time to time. Christmas brings me back to life.

My wife and I buy cards for the grand kids and put $100 dollars in each. I tell them if they have any left by the next Christmas I will match what is left plus the $100 dollars so far I have been out only the $100 dollars each year. Also we celebrate thankmas as the grand kids call it on thanks giving day. That they can stay at home and enjoy their immediate family and presents. When the kids were young we had to pack up on Christmas eve and off to my mothers and Christmas day off to the wife's mother. Kids hated it because they were taken away from their presents on Christmas morning. The $100 dollars makes our shopping easy and the grand kids can buy what they want.

hurleyjd":1we44mpo said:
My wife and I buy cards for the grand kids and put $100 dollars in each. I tell them if they have any left by the next Christmas I will match what is left plus the $100 dollars so far I have been out only the $100 dollars each year. Also we celebrate thankmas as the grand kids call it on thanks giving day. That they can stay at home and enjoy their immediate family and presents. When the kids were young we had to pack up on Christmas eve and off to my mothers and Christmas day off to the wife's mother. Kids hated it because they were taken away from their presents on Christmas morning. The $100 dollars makes our shopping easy and the grand kids can buy what they want.

My in-laws put money in mutual funds for all the grandchildren at Christmas and on birthdays instead of buying them presents. It was a big help when they were ready to head off to college.

i for 1 havent forgotten what chistmas means and i wont.but once you have family sick over the holidays and you loose them after the 1st of the year sometimes that changes.ive got to where i just spend money on the great neice and nephews.but yes they are backing the commerical christmas up to holloween.

Christmas can flat wear you out! You want to bake, to decorate, find perfect gifts for your loved ones, make it to all the get-togethers, watch the traditional movies with the grandkids, etc. So up until I finish the "wrap-a-thon", I can be pretty Bah Humbug. Stressed. But somehow, there is always a moment that fills me with the Christmas spirit and it's all good from there. I love to hear those passages from the bible read, too.

My wife and daughter believe in celebrating Christmas. So the rest of us just hang on for the ride and the honey dews.

Latest posts