Less Then A Month

Help Support CattleToday:

Very impressed with the dedication to get this heifer show ready in less than a month. Sounds like things are going well and be sure to share some pictures! Quick question, did you ever consider synchronizing her to breed AI versus turning out with the bull then starting later? Reason I ask is it would have allowed you to work with her more and get some better feeding probably too. I don't know your setup or how big your herd is so maybe it's not practical. What we used to do was we'd keep all our replacement heifers in the lot by the barn, would bring all of them in around the first of the year and start getting them all used to being on the halter then just focus on the 2-4 show heifers in the spring. We'd AI the heifer group as that allowed us to keep the show heifers with a group where it was easier to detect heat then after 2 heat cycles the non-show heifers would go out with the bull and the rest of the herd so in case any of them didn't take on 2 AI services it wasn't too late for the bull to do cleanup. Plus by then you know when your show heifers are cycling and can keep an eye on them the next time to see if they come in heat and hopefully it only took 1 or 2 AI services for them to settle. Was a pretty good system, by the time the weather was nice the heifers were very calm on the halter and broke to lead fairly easily and having them away from the herd allowed us to monitor their feed ration and work on their coat of hair. Usually brought them in and tied them up under the fan in the hot afternoons and rinsed them down around sunset and that would help promote good hair growth that you'd be able to do whatever you wanted with the clippers to make them look great for show day.

SPH we have never had good luck with synchronizing. Have had better luck AI'ing on a natural heat. The bull we use on our heifers throws a really nice light BW calf just perfect for heifers and there is no one around here to collect the semen from him. I would rather use our proven heifer bull then have a try on an unproven bull.

If you ever need some suggestions on light BW AI bulls I'd be willing to suggest a few Polled bulls we've used AI that have done well on heifers.

Looking good. What would you guess the steer is weighing? I like his color patter and depth of rib

The scale at our friends said 925# and the heifer is 825#. Will find out for sure on Wednesday at the weigh in.

Need to get her going tomorrow to get everything together to go. Will be heading in on Wednesday morning. Hubby is taking the travel trailer in tomorrow and then the stock on Wednesday.

I look forward to Thursday. I plan to do as little as possible; except washing, blowing, clipping and getting the cattle ready. Show is Friday and sale is Sunday.

What is the age on both? Not trying to sound critical but sounds like both could use a little more finish than the have right now.

very nice! I love the heifer's topline and conformation. She is going to grow into a nice cow.
Sending safe travel vibes and prayers your way, Good luck to your daughter and I hope that she has fun and a positive experience.

SPH we know they are both under finished or as Knersie said "half baked." Both are March calves. She slacked off on feeding her steer during calving season since she was helping her Dad check cows.

Daughter has all of her show stuff together and ready to go. Will be away for a few days. Will let everyone how things go when we get home.

I luv herfrds":28hml01o said:
SPH we know they are both under finished or as Knersie said "half baked." Both are March calves. She slacked off on feeding her steer during calving season since she was helping her Dad check cows.

Daughter has all of her show stuff together and ready to go. Will be away for a few days. Will let everyone how things go when we get home.

I believe it's "undercooked" ;-)

Good luck with them both little ILH !!! :tiphat:
Hope they behave themselves in the ring for you ! :D

ILH , take deep breaths , she will do just fine :wave:

Latest posts