Lespedeza ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
With a rain and warm weather afterwards, how long before I'll see it spourting. What I'm seeing 2 weeks later is only breaking the soil. But, what get's me is they are only two leafed?? Not big enough for a picture. Thanks B&G

I have debated sowing lespedeza for years. I think it would make great hay on our acidic clay soil.
What's kept me from it is sowing the small seeds. I don't have a seed drill to control depth.

ClinchValley":37pxsyxd said:
Does Lespedeza work on pasture ground for anyone? On a rotation? Or best for hay?

In this part of Kentucky the pastures are full of Kobe lespedeza. I notice it comes along a little latter after fescue becomes slow growing. I love it because it picks up the load when fescue and other grasses drop back on production.

I'm in the carter Elliott area. I'd love to try raising some lespedeza to bale for our sheep.

kentuckyguy":1y2fh8jn said:
I'm in the carter Elliott area. I'd love to try raising some lespedeza to bale for our sheep.

Know the area well. My lifelong best friend lives in Isonville outside Sandy Hook.

You have different soils. I am in Ordovician Age Limestones. You are in Carboniferous Sandstones and siltstones. I am not sure how lespedeza will do there. Check with county agent in Grayson.

Isonville is about 12 min up the road

I'll call my agent next week and ask. Thanks

kentuckyguy":32m4kird said:
Isonville is about 12 min up the road

I'll call my agent next week and ask. Thanks

His last name is Ison. I need to go see him. He and his wife know where every wild flower on the farm is. They have several patches of yellow and pink Lady Slippers.