Lentils for Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Gary Dennis

Reaction score
As we are all looking for cheap alternatives for feed, I've found mixed lentils for $120 per ton. Are these any good? Should I be mixing them with me regular feed and at what percentage? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

Dave

Reaction score
Well college animal nutrition was about 50 years ago. But I looked up the nutirent value. Crude Protein at 24%, dp at 18%, and TDN at 74%. For $120 a ton I would be all over that. You need to research for any limiting factors but you can certainly feed some of it, especially at that price.

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We feed pea and lentil screenings pellets most of the winter for supplement. 5 lbs of them is same value as 8 lbs of wheat or barley screenings.

OP
G

Gary Dennis

Reaction score
It won’t be pellitized. It’s just screenings from the local processor. They said it’s a mixture of types and some whole and some halves. I’m wondering what percentage I could use with low quality co-op feed and maybe with range cubes.

gcreekrch

Reaction score
If the screenings are cheap why would you use the other?
10 lbs of screenings a day will put the weight on as long as they have enough grass or hay to fill the rest.

OP
G

Gary Dennis

Reaction score
If the screenings are cheap why would you use the other?
10 lbs of screenings a day will put the weight on as long as they have enough grass or hay to fill the rest.
i didn’t know if they would need another source of nutrition besides grass and hay with the screenings. They have free choice Purina Wind & Rain minerals and hay all year. If I could feed just the screenings, that would be great.
Thanks
Gary

gcreekrch

Reaction score
You
i didn’t know if they would need another source of nutrition besides grass and hay with the screenings. They have free choice Purina Wind & Rain minerals and hay all year. If I could feed just the screenings, that would be great.
Thanks
Gary
You can feed just the screenings. Watch their poop and if it gets too loose cut them back a bit.

Latest posts