Legumes

Help Support CattleToday:

JMER1533

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the board and new-ish to cattle. I have 11 head of black angus and am in southern middle TN with a bermuda and fescue pasture. I'm starting on the commercial side but eventually I want to try my hand at grass-fed beef (which will require higher quality pasture than I currently have I believe) and possibly a registered breed. Right now I'm just seeing what I enjoy. Either way I want to improve my pasture asap. For my region is clover the best legume option to overseed with? And what is the best method (other than drilling) I could use between now and spring? I asked some questions at a local co-op and as soon as they told me to just use Kentucky 31 I quit asking questions lol.
Thanks everyone, been reading this board for the last couple months trying to learn as much as I can.

You could try frost seeding clover in February, providing you get the heaving temperatures to do it.

Yes, just a question of which variety.
Broadcasting is the cheapest way to seed. Having cattle walk it in after broadcasting helps a lot.
Clover will not establish well unless there are open areas and/or the grass is weak.
Start small unless you can find a mentor.

Not sure how much area you are wanting to cover at once , but you can make a lot of improvement without a lot of input by using a handheld cyclone seeder in the hay feeding areas in just a couple of years.

Latest posts