Legumes???

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus In Texas

Reaction score
I am located in Central Texas and have coastal bermuda on my place but would like to plant a cold weather legume. Does anyone have any suggestions on a variety that would not inhibit grass growth once spring hits but would still produce good tonage during the winter months?

I have looked at vetch so far.

theres a few grasses you can plant.an they wont hurt your summer growth on cosal.you can plant rye grass clover an vetch.they will grow till it gets hot.

Look at Durano clover and see if it is suitable for your area. I'm not in the best area to grow this but planted some at thre recommendation of extension guy. I'm impressed with its persistance and hardiness and it will also give you up to 120 units of nitrogen.

I have used Appache and Durana clover in my pasture along with rye grass. Last year we got perfect rainfall and it really took over the pasture, but that allot better than having no grass at all.
Clover will help add nitrogen to the soil. I usually sling my clover seed out in oct/nov time frame and usually only about every 4 or 5 years as I get good reseeding most years.
Not sure what would work for your area, I would contact county agent or some neighbors that have used legumes in their pastures

JRM":f8plhge2 said:
I have used Appache and Durana clover in my pasture along with rye grass. Last year we got perfect rainfall and it really took over the pasture, but that allot better than having no grass at all.
Clover will help add nitrogen to the soil. I usually sling my clover seed out in oct/nov time frame and usually only about every 4 or 5 years as I get good reseeding most years.
Not sure what would work for your area, I would contact county agent or some neighbors that have used legumes in their pastures
A lot depends on where you are. You can add rose and crimson to the list. The crimson will have an earlier production where as some of the others may be late maturing. Some of the medics work good as well as the vetch. I agree with checking with your county agent.

Latest posts