Leaving bull w/ herd

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been discussed but didnt look,sorry...My question is how long do you leave a bull in with herd before removing ,my herd is small and contains some heifers if it matters? Thank you all for any and all info..... :tiphat:

If you take the bull out when the first cow calves and put him back when you want to start breeding, you do all right.

We only leave the bull with them for 45 days, keeps a very tight calving season. AFter preg check and weaning the bull?s get turned back into the bred cows until just before they start calving. I don;t like the idea of wandering aorund in the dark looking for a cow calving and take a chance on the bull/s getting teritorial when I can;t see them.

A bull needs to be with the herd for a minimum of 30 days (not all cows might get bred/settled in that length of time) and for as long after that that you want to spend calving cows. Some farms leave the bull in all year.
I don't believe in doing that. "Most" producers that have a calving "season" like it to be 45 to 60 days. A bull is usually turned out with the cowherd about 30 days after the last cow calved and left with them for the 45-60 days.
If you want a May 1 to June 30th calving, you would put the bull out about 7-22 to 9-20. Then if you use the same dates each year, your cows should have had enough time to be cycling after calving, but shouldn't have to worry about the bull breeding the heifers born that season.

Latest posts