Leasing cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

Newguy64

Reaction score
Got an opportunity to take over an established cowherd of mixed aged cows a lot of them on the older side. The owner just wants out as they are older in years and want more time to do as they please. It's been discussed about either buying the cows or possibly leasing by the head. I've in a way managed these cows the last couple years and they are reasonably low input and raise good solid calves. The pastures would be able to be rented with the cows. I'm looking for some advice mostly on the idea of leasing or how about the best way for buying out the herd since ages are not well documented. There is about 70 head. 50 spring calvers and 20 fall calvers

Ok I appreciate the advice and replies. I'm going to talk to them about it next week. Hopefully all goes well

I wouldn't do anything without the right to age and cull the cows before buying. You've already said some are older.

Do you have the know how, time and equipment necessary to handle that many cattle and pasture along with what
you are doing now. Cash flow could become imperative in a dry year. Good luck regardless of how this goes....

Latest posts