Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Anybody know about this?

Review of Agricultural Economics
Volume 24 Issue 1 Page 251 - Spring/Summer 2002
doi:10.1111/1467-9353.00095
Volume 24 Issue 1

Meeting Consumer Demands with Genetics and Market Coordination: The Case of the Leachman Cattle Company
Gary W. Brester
This case considers two major management decisions facing the Leachman Cattle Company, the largest U.S. beef cattle seedstock producer. The first decision relates to continued expansion into international markets. Such expansion has tremendous potential, but also introduces a host of logistical problems and risks. The second decision concerns the development and market integration required to produce a branded beef product based on Piedmontese beef cattle.

I don't understand your question?

Leachman's dispersion (or split up, since they're still in business) was partly caused by 1. they had trouble collecting for semen and cattle they sold internationally and 2. some of the investors in their Montana Range branded beef program sued them.

Leachman's dispersion (or split up, since they're still in business) was partly caused by 1. they had trouble collecting for semen and cattle they sold internationally and 2. some of the investors in their Montana Range branded beef program sued them.

I thought their demise was because they screwed abunch of their cooperators. I know several people who had business dealings with Leachmans and all came up very short of what they had been promised.

Does Leachman Cattle Company in Montana actually have a cowherd producing there own stock or are they like Jims son Lee and almost all Cooperator herds cattle. If Jim Leachman Cattle Co. in Montana is the largest seedstock operation surely they maintain there own cowherds. If all they use is cooperators then they shouldnt be the largest seedstock producer.

I know they used to have their own cowherd. I don't know what they have now after everyone came hunting them.

Beef11":c6n0zx9h said:

I thought their demise was because they screwed abunch of their cooperators. I know several people who had business dealings with Leachmans and all came up very short of what they had been promised.

Right about the cooperators-- many have never got what they were owed from Leachmans-- the same as with some other outfits that did business with them toward the end...

Another big factor in the split was a divorce and over $million settlement to an ex.....

So i've got a deal for anyone interested, I come to your place pick your best calves then i put my brand on them, sell them as mine and give you half the money. Except after i sell them i send you a letter saying i'm having financial problems and needed your half of the money as well. Any takers?? pm me if interested.

Leachmans had too many look alikes for me. You never know what you where getting from them.Jim came over to Australia and gave the South Devon breeders some hope that their breed was the next big thing. Aint happened yet and I can't see it happening unfortunately as they are one of the best British Breeds and the most docile. I've been breeding them for 17 years and there is less demand now than at least ten years ago.
Jim had lots of advice when I heard him speak at a field day,but he did sound just like an evangelist.
Colin