LD Capitalist

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
I know he's been bantered around back and forth but it seems like alot of you all should have some experience (and maybe several years of it) with his calves. I see he is being heavily used in some outfits I respect (Connealy, Payne, McKellar, etc.). I have not laid eyes on any of his calves so just looking for feedback on those of you that have used him. It looks like he carries some good length and depth on the calves I have seen out of him in catalogs.

Protect him, breed him to power, muscle, wide topped females and you'll be real happy. Late bloomers also, but they just get better. I have two bred heifers that will sell in April bred for fall calving to Playbook. Both out of Hoover Dam on bottom side. And another late fall heifer we are about to breed now out of a Reserve cow, breeding to Rainfall. Calves come with great vigor.

We have now turned to using his son and grandson. We are plugging Musgrave Exclusive into everything we can. Also using Musgrave Crackerjack on heifers. We have sorted and conventional for both.

Don't forget also used at SAV, Ingram, Boyd, and many more. I have a good contact for 316 semen if you need it let me know.

I have two bull calves by him about 6 mths old, they certainly didn't blow me away at first but are starting to catch my eye now, I think they will be alright. I used his son Exclusive last year as well.

Ken

The LD Capitalist 316 calves here weaned off about average, but seemed to take off after weaning. Bulls approaching a year old and keep looking better every day. One thing I noticed calving in the aftermath of the Bomb Cyclone last spring is that the Black Granite calves were up nursing in 10-15 minutes in 15 degree weather with 20 mph wind then laying back down (their ears all got frozen in this weather), while the Capitalist calves born the same time seemed to fumble around, get chilled and give up so I had to take them to the barn. Their dams were all pretty equal ability. Just kind of an interesting observation under environmental stress.

GoWyo said:
The LD Capitalist 316 calves here weaned off about average, but seemed to take off after weaning. Bulls approaching a year old and keep looking better every day. One thing I noticed calving in the aftermath of the Bomb Cyclone last spring is that the Black Granite calves were up nursing in 10-15 minutes in 15 degree weather with 20 mph wind then laying back down (their ears all got frozen in this weather), while the Capitalist calves born the same time seemed to fumble around, get chilled and give up so I had to take them to the barn. Their dams were all pretty equal ability. Just kind of an interesting observation under environmental stress.

If you compared length of body, foot structure, depth of rib, how were the LD's versus the Black Granite calves? Any difference you can tell in females or fertility?

GoWyo said:

I'm in for some info on the black granite claves also. I want to use him so bad, but I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts.

T & B farms said:
GoWyo said:

I'm in for some info on the black granite claves also. I want to use him so bad, but I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts.
We have loved everything about our 7229 sons. Good growth and marbling. Excellent replacement females. They are all balanced and not explosive in any one trait.

I sold two yearling bulls by Black Granite in 2018. They were the most masculine bulls in the pen for their age. Easy to sell. I kept a heifer out of a BC Lookout cow and she is very feminine and did ok as a first calf heifer -- maybe a little dry on milk, good udder -- will see how she does as a three year old. Skipped a year and had four calves by him in 2019 -- all heifers. Sold two of the heifer calves in our state female sale in November averaging a touch under $2000 each. They were out of pretty good milking cows and had Adj 205 weights around 650 (high plains grass, no creep). Only ones that ran with them as far as weight and ratios were a couple of Resource heifers also out of decent milking cows. I have heard to protect on feet, seems the Bismarck side can come out on some. His calves seem to follow the cow, i.e. on a terminal power cow you get a bull like Bar R Jet Black and on a little toad cow you will probably get a little toad calf. However, the bulls are masculine and the heifers are feminine.

Latest posts