LD Capitalist 316 or Musgrave 316 Stunner

Help Support CattleToday:

LCBulls

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with either of these Sires?
We have some coming yearlings out of LD Capitalist 316, and they seem to be pretty nice, but it was a small sample size.
Need to Breed some heifers and Stunner looks like he has really good phenotype and similar EPD profile to his Sire.

Id get a hold of Tyler Musgrave. Not sure on Stunner for heifers but he'll definitely be able to tell you. We have 3 fall 316 heifers but jury still out on them. I've been wanting to plug Stunner in but don't have enough head, I'm pretty sure Stunner will be their top sire group at their March sale. Check out Musgraves facebook page too, lots of pics, info, etc.

Thanks, I've seen their pictures on their Facebook page. Progeny from both look equally impressive to me. I thought some on here might have progeny from Stunner. I guess I should call and talk to him. He would know their similarities and differences for sure.

Call Tyler. Dang nice guy and even better a straight shooter. no bs from him.

I used Stunner this year. Calves should be coming in couple months. Can't wait. I noticed on genex site his price went up from $30 last year to $50 this year. Hopefully that means there's some quality calves from him.

Have a half dozen Capitalist calves here. Will not have weaning weights until October. Their herd mates are by CTS Remedy, Resource, HF Tiger, Baldridge Colonel, Black Granite and Southern Charm. They are all about the same size except maybe not as heavy just because the majority of them were heifers' calves.

We calved most of them in the few days right after the Bomb Cyclone rolled through here March 14-15. The Black Granite calves would be up nursing in 10 minutes while still wet and then lay down and get licked off the rest of the way (they are my calves with all the short ears from freezing the tips). They were really vigorous calves. The Capitalist calves would be up almost as fast, but tended to fumble on finding the teat and would get cold within just a few minutes. Had to take a couple to the barn to warm them up. That was the only downside on them though.

I'll be honest I was disappointed at first with stunner calves because they were small and a bit thin but at 5 months old they are starting to impress me. Steady growth now. They have a bit lighter hair coat then I'd like to see in the north country. Good input on capitalist 316. I've never used him but hearing about him was why I went with one his sons.

GoWyo said:
Have a half dozen Capitalist calves here. Will not have weaning weights until October. Their herd mates are by CTS Remedy, Resource, HF Tiger, Baldridge Colonel, Black Granite and Southern Charm. They are all about the same size except maybe not as heavy just because the majority of them were heifers' calves.

We calved most of them in the few days right after the Bomb Cyclone rolled through here March 14-15. The Black Granite calves would be up nursing in 10 minutes while still wet and then lay down and get licked off the rest of the way (they are my calves with all the short ears from freezing the tips). They were really vigorous calves. The Capitalist calves would be up almost as fast, but tended to fumble on finding the teat and would get cold within just a few minutes. Had to take a couple to the barn to warm them up. That was the only downside on them though.

Dont mean to hijack this thread, but how do you like your Remedy calves?

So far I like the Remedy calves a lot. They were decent calves from birth, but have been coming on at about 4-5 months age. The bull calves start looking the part by 3 months and the heifers are feminine but have adequate thickness. I like the phenotype of the calves as much as any of them. May circle back to him next spring based on what I am seeing right now. Will reserve judgment until this crop reaches yearlings and we weigh and scan.

GoWyo said:
So far I like the Remedy calves a lot. They were decent calves from birth, but have been coming on at about 4-5 months age. The bull calves start looking the part by 3 months and the heifers are feminine but have adequate thickness. I like the phenotype of the calves as much as any of them. May circle back to him next spring based on what I am seeing right now. Will reserve judgment until this crop reaches yearlings and we weigh and scan.

I've liked most of the Remedy calves I've seen. Never used him though. We do have calves on the way from his son Ellingson Homestead(ST Genetics). I'm excited to get some of them on the ground.

We don't have as many 316 calves this year but the ones that we do have are pretty nice.
We bred some of our heifers to Stunner. I think you probably can flip a coin on which one to use. Stunners son Crackerjack looks awesome also

I just searched that Crackerjack bull. Looks like a really nice bull. Don't really like 68 lb birth weight but he's gotta be one of the better heifer bulls out there.

Josher said:
I just searched that Crackerjack bull. Looks like a really nice bull. Don't really like 68 lb birth weight but he's gotta be one of the better heifer bulls out there.

Yeah, that's refreshing to hear. Most guys have been so brainwashed at sales that they think a calf born over 80 lbs is not worth even looking at.

Seems like we have to help a lot more small newborns especially when the weather is cold versus having to help a cow calve because it's too big. That's where my dislike for the big push for low BW calves comes from. A little extra flesh really helps with survivability. I'm not saying that we need 100lb + calves, I just think 75-90lb is perfect. What is your ideal calf weight?

Josher said:
Seems like we have to help a lot more small newborns especially when the weather is cold versus having to help a cow calve because it's too big. That's where my dislike for the big push for low BW calves comes from. A little extra flesh really helps with survivability. I'm not saying that we need 100lb + calves, I just think 75-90lb is perfect. What is your ideal calf weight?

First Calf Heifers 70-80
Cows 80-90 although cows shouldn't have a problem with 100 lb calf's

Time of year/weather can have a big difference in calf sizes from ranch to ranch.

LCBulls said:
We don't have as many 316 calves this year but the ones that we do have are pretty nice.
We bred some of our heifers to Stunner. I think you probably can flip a coin on which one to use. Stunners son Crackerjack looks awesome also

I think I'll be using Cracker Jack this spring looks pretty good. Nothing extreme

LJCB said:
LCBulls said:

I think I'll be using Cracker Jack this spring looks pretty good. Nothing extreme

When u follow the sire side of the family tree it's a pretty long list of solid bulls. Final answer, capitalist 028, capitalist 316, stunner 316.

Latest posts