Latest Build Completion

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
Wrapped up my latest build, AR-15 SBR in 300BLK. Aero Precision lower, upper, and free float handguard, 8.5" 300BLK barrel from TR Enabling, Red Jacket Firearms buttstock, and Trijicon MRO sight. The handguard covers the barrel by 1/2", but the muzzlebreak for the suppressor sticks out past the handguard. Planning to test drive it this weekend. Total weight without a magazine is 6lbs 4oz.

20161205_070241_zpsmyablcif.jpg

Makes me want an AR even more. Buddy and I are researching components now. He has a couple Colt's but is wanting to build a 308. I'm just wanting a 556 to start with.

This is my 3rd build (2 300blk and 1 223) and I have a couple stripped lowers waiting. You can get an Anderson stripped lower for $55. This Aero Precision lower I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading as a blemish and there's nothing blemished about it.

I think my next build will be a 458socom.

MudHog":283lpkfv said:
This is my 3rd build (2 300blk and 1 223) and I have a couple stripped lowers waiting. You can get an Anderson stripped lower for $55. This Aero Precision lower I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading as a blemish and there's nothing blemished about it.

You heard anything about the American Tactical Omni Hybrid? My cousin just got a 300blk and it felt nice.

J&D Cattle":208q5zcc said:
MudHog":208q5zcc said:

You heard anything about the American Tactical Omni Hybrid? My cousin just got a 300blk and it felt nice.

I don't know that specific brand, but polymer AR uppers and lowers aren't my cup of tea. I've read to many articles of various brand polymer lowers/uppers failing. The American Tactical Omni Hybrid is a metal reinforced polymer upper/lower, which to me doesn't make sense. Why not just go metal? The feel parts is all about the buttstock, pistol grip, and handguard. I hate a small buttstock and I like the RJF because its fatter. I also hate a quad rail, because the bottom rail in the hand doesn't feel comfortable. I tried the rubber covers for the rails, but that made the handguard way to big around for my liking. I rather the smoothness of the keymod handguards. For pistol grips, some people prefer a round grip and some a square grip.

One thing I would recommend on any AR is to get USA forged parts. Every forger has a marking and I always buy uppers/lowers from USA forgers. That said, I tend to always buy my parts from certain companies after I know what they have. Examples would be: Anderson, Aero Precision, Daytona Tactical. If your buying any used parts, look for forging marks. Keyhole, splintered A, Square, Cardinal head are all USA forging company marks.

Same goes for pistols, I don't like the plastic framed pistols which I call tuppaware pistols. :D

MudHog":10ptd42u said:
J&D Cattle":10ptd42u said:
MudHog":10ptd42u said:

I don't know that specific brand, but polymer AR uppers and lowers aren't my cup of tea. I've read to many articles of various brand polymer lowers/uppers failing. The American Tactical Omni Hybrid is a metal reinforced polymer upper/lower, which to me doesn't make sense. Why not just go metal? The feel parts is all about the buttstock, pistol grip, and handguard. I hate a small buttstock and I like the RJF because its fatter. I also hate a quad rail, because the bottom rail in the hand doesn't feel comfortable. I tried the rubber covers for the rails, but that made the handguard way to big around for my liking. I rather the smoothness of the keymod handguards. For pistol grips, some people prefer a round grip and some a square grip.

One thing I would recommend on any AR is to get USA forged parts. Every forger has a marking and I always buy uppers/lowers from USA forgers. That said, I tend to always buy my parts from certain companies after I know what they have. Examples would be: Anderson, Aero Precision, Daytona Tactical. If your buying any used parts, look for forging marks. Keyhole, splintered A, Square, Cardinal head are all USA forging company marks.

Same goes for pistols, I don't like the plastic framed pistols which I call tuppaware pistols. :D

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get started doing some research, I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

Not being a smart a$$ what is the wow with 300 BLK.
No matter the weapon here in this thicket unless it's a Model 12 you are only getting one shot at these hogs.
I kill just as many with my single shot 223 as I do my mini.

Caustic Burno":32i19ohy said:
No matter the weapon here in this thicket unless it's a Model 12 you are only getting one shot at these hogs.

300BLK is basically a 30-30 in a semi auto platform with more magazine capacity. Subsonic and suppressed, it is a very quite and a very effective 30caliber round. Eventually I will get a thermal scope for piggys at night. Suppressed, you only hear the action cycling. :mrgreen:

Caustic Burno":2fhiny4b said:

The biggest benefit is that it uses the same mags, bolt, and upper/lower as 223. All you have to swap is the barrel. It also uses .223 brass and primers, which are cheap and easy to get, along with the .308 projectiles.

It's not quite as hot as a 30-30, but a 110gr bullet at 2000 fps is plenty out to 150 yards.

I've got a full size Smith and Wesson MP15 in 300, about to pull the trigger on parts to build an AR pistol for the alternative methods season.

MudHog":1ubwy5nt said:
Caustic Burno":1ubwy5nt said:

300BLK is basically a 30-30 in a semi auto platform with more magazine capacity. Subsonic and suppressed, it is a very quite and a very effective 30caliber round. Eventually I will get a thermal scope for piggys at night. Suppressed, you only hear the action cycling. :mrgreen:
I've got a lever action 30-30. What you have sounds like a heck of à weapon! I like it

Atimm693":26avuodr said:
Caustic Burno":26avuodr said:

The biggest benefit is that it uses the same mags, bolt, and upper/lower as 223. All you have to swap is the barrel. It also uses .223 brass and primers, which are cheap and easy to get, along with the .308 projectiles.

It's not quite as hot as a 30-30, but a 110gr bullet at 2000 fps is plenty out to 150 yards.

I've got a full size Smith and Wesson MP15 in 300, about to pull the trigger on parts to build an AR pistol for the alternative methods season.
What CB is saying is that in that jungle he lives in all but your first shot will do nothing but cut brush. And the 1st might too .

TexasBred":3hyc5kh3 said:
Atimm693":3hyc5kh3 said:
Caustic Burno":3hyc5kh3 said:

What CB is saying is that in that jungle he lives in all but your first shot will do nothing but cut brush. And the 1st might too .

Sure, I can see his point.

The ARs short length and light weight make is a pleasure to swing around in the woods as well, which is another benefit aside from being a semiauto.

Atimm693":2x7juoys said:
Caustic Burno":2x7juoys said:

The 300BLK was developed as a round capable of suppressed CQB with the ability to AT&T the bad guys once you step out the door. Stabilizing a big chunk of lead in 8", as well as doing it with mostly existing parts were key in it's development. You can half ass it and just simply swap a 300BLK barrel onto your old 5.56 AR. Head spacing the bolt wouldn't hurt a thing, but it'll work for a while with no modification. It's even the same brass, believe it or not. With sub sonics and a suppressor, clearing a building without earplugs is possible. A quick mag swap on the way out the door and you are back to making bad guys duck at 200m. All of that transfers (lucky for us) to a fairly efficient and comfortable hunting weapon. Light recoil, suppression capability, easy to adjust, compact platform, etc. It makes a good youth rifle, brush gun, truck gun, and your ears will thank you in a box blind. It's just a really good short to mid range platform and round. BUT, the big wow you ask? The democrats hate it because it's black and scary and they can't hear it. That's the big wow for me. :D The only downside is the $400 worth of paper it takes to legally own a SBR with a can. :bang:
Would I trade in my 30-30 saddle gun? Absolutely not, but if I'm being attacked by sassy bandits (or pigs), I'd pick my BLK if it was a choice. No, wait....What were my choices again?
Your fresh build is pretty sweet! You going to stick a can on her?

Yep. I built a 30cal one using the freeze plug method. I didn't use the Maglite tube as I don't like having to seal off the switch hole. SD Tactical sells tubes already cut and threaded for use with the freeze plug and is what I used.

MudHog":376sypb1 said:
Yep. I built a 30cal one using the freeze plug method. I didn't use the Maglite tube as I don't like having to seal off the switch hole. SD Tactical sells tubes already cut and threaded for use with the freeze plug and is what I used.

A guy was telling me about the adapter that you can use a spin on oil filter with. He said it works great but I haven't seen it.

Those are out there, but you still need to tax stamp to be legal. People are making "solvent traps", but I'd rather pay the $200 and be legal. The spin on filters do work though.

Latest posts