Last night storm

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
It took me a little over two hours to complete a normally 15 minute drive last night. We have had pretty heavy rain the last few days, followed be 60 mph winds last night. Had a big fir tree go down across hwy 30 closed the hwy for hours (naturally about 1/2 mile from where I turn off the hwy). After a couple of minutes I turned around and decided on a back road route, few miles later another down tree in the road, okay over to this road, nope down tree and power line. I was blocked by down trees on four different routes. So out to see what damage the daylight brings, with my chainsaw .... Time to score apsome firewood.

How did you do up in part of the country Dave?

Lots of limbs down and a few power outages. I had a meeting scheduled up in Olympia at 7:00. I left the house at 6:15. They sent out a notice cancelling the meeting at 6:16. It was a bumpy ride up there and back. The wind pushed my little car around a lot. But I stayed on I-5. The wind was blowing parallel to the freeway so any trees that went down wouldn't end up in the road. I talked to a friend down in Lewis county who did similar to you, taking different routes trying to get around the down trees and power lines. I did get to see several transformers blow up from a distance. Nice bright green light that lit up the night sky.

Thanks Tim, everyone including the cattle and dogs made it fine, no damage on the place but I haven't checked the whole place yet. We had plenty of high wind through the years but I have never been cut off by that many down trees before. I was more worried about getting hit by a falling limb. I discover my eyes don't do as well trying to read by the light of a latern. Did you get hit also Tim?

Sounds like you had a fun night also Dave.

Sounds like a wicked storm. Glad you're both in good shape. Hope everyone else in that area is okay as well.
Anybody heard from Kathie, or was she out of the path?

Wondered about you folks last night Alan when I was watching the news and weather. Looked like a real storm brewing then and apparently it was. Hope everything is ok.

Up here we had a lot of rain the last couple days, i'd guess 4" or so.. not much for bad winds, though there was a good breeze that blew the rain right through the hayshed.

2 weeks ago we had a really bad storm that downed power lines and trees everywhere, it was very cold and some places were without power for more than a day, and not everyone has wood heat here.
For us the power went out about 1 minute after we finished spraying the paint on my dad's truck.. .was a really close call!

Glad to hear you two made it thru OK. Hope the worst is over--is this going to help the drought in Calif any?
You guys stay safe--I'd hate for ya to miss the Ducks/FSU game Alan. ;-)

TexasBred":nffb1d6r said:
Wondered about you folks last night Alan when I was watching the news and weather. Looked like a real storm brewing then and apparently it was. Hope everything is ok.
Cottage Farm, we're good. We've had lots of rain, but the big storm with high winds busted up over the Cascade Range before it got to us. Our office closed yesterday, when an ancient pipe between the roof and the ceiling for run-off water from the roof blew. Man, we had water everywhere, and it leaked down another floor. To get down one of our hallways, it took an umbrella. So I came home and did laundry, and the temporary fixes and debris clean-up went on into the night. We were back in business today. BUT, all our cattle got loose last night :( , which had nothing to do with the weather -- bad gate latching control. Was so thankful that we had the "911" number for Burlington Northern RR while we got them back in.

CottageFarm":1jcc3066 said:
Sounds like a wicked storm. Glad you're both in good shape. Hope everyone else in that area is okay as well.
Anybody heard from Kathie, or was she out of the path?
Cottage Farm -- see above. I mis-directed my comment.

Latest posts