Last 2 calves dead in 3 days

Help Support CattleToday:

69zfarmer

Reaction score
I have a small heard of about 35 momma cows (mostly black crossbred)I have 25 calves on the ground right now since i run my angus bull year roundthey are all different ages.The last two one on born on 8-5-05 the other 3 weeks ago lived 3 days and died I know they got there first milk and went down hill from there.I took the first one to the vet and he said she was breathing a little too fast and thought it was BRSV he gave the calf antibotics and told me to give her another shot that evening and call him if she was not nursing the next day.Well that evening i went to give the shot and she was dead.The other one born on 8-5 died also.The day before she died she was strong but her eyes were runny?I am scared now what could this be?

First thing I'd do is to get one posted. You need more than someone sitting on a computer that can't see the cattle can give you. Good luck

In this order:

Your farm is now off limits to any and all people - voluntary quarantine - otherwise in worst case scenario it could be imposed.

You need to have the vet visit the farm.

You need to autopsy the deads

You need to stay off other farms

No animals in or out of your place.

Good to be scared - time to get busy:

You need to DEMAND the vet visit - call another if necessary - call the local ag rep and get him onside if possible.

To heck with times and places -get them out of bed if you have to - you got an emergency and it must be handled - info you get here is nothing more than here say - get help on site asap and do not come back here until it is arranged - then let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

Bez

69zfarmer":1mvaes14 said:

Do not know how to take your reponse.

You have unknown deaths and asked for opinions - looks like you respond with a smart assed answer.

So - go your own way if that is the case. I know what responsible cattlemen and women will do if it happens to them - I just hoped you were one of them.

Please tell me you are not one of those who feeds chicken litter.

Bez

Bez":1h774bzn said:
69zfarmer":1h774bzn said:

Do not know how to take your reponse.

You have unknown deaths and asked for opinions - looks like you respond with a smart assed answer.

So - go your own way if that is the case. I know what responsible cattlemen and women will do if it happens to them - I just hoped you were one of them.

Please tell me you are not one of those who feeds chicken litter.

Bez

Seemed pretty smart assed to me also Bez, kinda makes one wonder why it was posted in the first place. The man recieved an educated professional response, replied with a knowitall attitude.

I can't figure why he'd come here for answers with a problem like he's having.He needs a real Vet...three Sunsets ago. Then to get a case of the A$$.He'd be having a brain aneurism and be on Web M.D.

69zfarmer":1fgkxubw said:

I don't really know how to take that either.
Bez gave the same advice I did. He did a much better job at it, I should add. I would be extremely concerned with the death of a couple of calves. I would want to know why, and if the others could get it. Bez went futher with some recommendations that should be followed. To put this in perspective. Where Bez is from they are feeding beef to the dogs because it is cheaper than dog food. Any thing that is killing calves should be taken seriously!!

Maybe the person was just suprised..and meant to spell Whoa!

They didn't realize the seriousness of the situation? :shock:

I thought Bez made some very good recommendations! ;-)

I am not sure how to take the response either. However, let's not scare him off and give him a chance to respond for any needed clarification.

Didn't mention the mama cows...are their vacs up to date....the vet will need all the info he can get to lead him in the right direction....I agree with Bez's first post. Better to be extra cautious than spread a disaster.
Hope all works well for you.
Susie

Maybe you scared the crap out of them and that was what they meant by, woooo. I would agree with the advice given by Bez. I would want some answers before quick.

Bama":10se5lef said:
69zfarmer":10se5lef said:

I don't really know how to take that either.
Bez gave the same advice I did. He did a much better job at it, I should add. I would be extremely concerned with the death of a couple of calves. I would want to know why, and if the others could get it. Bez went futher with some recommendations that should be followed. To put this in perspective. Where Bez is from they are feeding beef to the dogs because it is cheaper than dog food. Any thing that is killing calves should be taken seriously!!

Bama - we made our original posts within minutes of each other.

Do a search and backtrack this guys posts.

I do not think he is one to believe or pay attention to.
Goes from one disaster to another.

In future I will simply ignore this person's posts.

Bez

Gosh guys I did not mean it to sound like a smart A!@ the response scared me even more sorry if i offended anyone.Please forgive me!I meant whoa!

I'd make that apology to Bez. He was the one that was really trying to give you some sound advice. You could be heading for a real Train Wreck.With the kind of problem you're having, you need to get a REAL vet out to your place immeadiately.

I would have stopped this misunderstanding last night if i had been online,I respect all the responses you guys and dolls give me,again please forgive me.

Latest posts