Large calf won't suck

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
Born yesterday, rather large and won't suck.....what was the vitamin you people used on these weak calves? I ran the search and can't find it....Please hurry, we don't want another dummy calf!

Selenium, a mineral - given in the form of BoSe - you have to get from vet.
Did you tube it colostrum? If not, ask vet for something they give for immunities since it is too late for colostrum to help calf if over 24 hours.

We give Selinium & E and A&D at birth. Tube colostrum if not nursing.
Did you try working the calf's mouth with your finger with some of mama's milk on it, sometimes that will get the sucking response started.
Good luck....DMc

Bo-se, Vit A&D, and 30cc of Beef or Dairy Nutri-Drench. Nutri-Drench is available at Tractor Supply in our part of Ohio.

Sounds like good advice from all that posted . The only thing I might add would be to inspect his gums if they are red and swollen use Listerine on them .Probios may be a benifit too .

Larry

electrolights but what we do is we put the cow in the chute and then take the claf by the mom and try to get him tosuck while milking the cow with a tit in his mouth so that he gets a taste of it and latches on. Couldbe if its a large calf that it was a long birth and is going to be slow becasue of it. Good luck.

I agree 100% with the Bo-Se & the Vit B shots. Sometimes those large calves have swelling in their tounges as well as their heads in general from a long or hard delivery. They just can't make it work right away. When I have one born like this I just give the shots, tube it with colostrum & leave it alone for a few hours. Between the meds & the nourishment the swelling goes down pretty fast. Good Luck

Well the calf is being tubed....and got the sel e etc at yesterday.....(this is my friends calf) Still wont suck...

Anyone heard of dmso intravenous? It is perported to have helped dummy foals...

No, never heard of dmso being used for that.
Twice daily, offer the bottle or mom's teat (they will suck a teat faster than the bottle) - if won't suck - tube. May take several days for him to get going. Be sure they are using top quality milk replacer (if not mom's natural milk). but, also be sure he's not sucking mom in-between or you will get him scouring from too much milk.

when i have a problem calf, i will tube him twice (at birth and again about 12 hours later) to keep him alive and to get the colostrum. then start trying to make him suck on his own. and by that i mean, you will have to let that calf get super hungry. have seen them go 24 hours, but they finally suck. at this point i only tube if they start getting too weak. i dont have this often, but did last week because the cows teats were too long and big... little feller couldnt latch on. i tubed him twice and that rascal would follow me after that when he got hungry. finally after helping him find the bottles for a while, he got the hang of it.

good luck.

jt

Onthebit":1f7q50tb said:
Well the calf is being tubed....and got the sel e etc at yesterday.....(this is my friends calf) Still wont suck...

I may be a little late in getting back, however I know of several people using dmso in the vain on foals. Some it works others, nope! Smells like havoc!

hrbelgians":2nxf2as3 said:
Onthebit":2nxf2as3 said:

I may be a little late in getting back, however I know of several people using dmso in the vain on foals. Some it works others, nope! Smells like havoc!

Ya it stinks! but if it saves one? who cares? anyways they put the calf down....she lives 4 hours away from me and her vet didn't know anything about dimethylsulfoxide....Im bringing her a bottle as insurance it never happens again!

hrbelgians":mobwrkyw said:
Onthebit":mobwrkyw said:

:shock: :???: DMSO? in the vein?

and the purpose of that is....???

Not that you'd need to go IV -- the stuff is dangerous enough as it is, seeing as it crosses membranes and is absorbed into the skin almost instantly. But what on earth is the reasoning behind giving an animal (that likely has a mineral deficiency) a topical med that has a totally unrelated action to what you need??? DMSO can carry other drugs across membranes and is often mixed with other drugs (like nitrofurazone) and applied topically because skin isn't a boundary for DMSO like it is for other medications. It's also used to increase blood flow to a particular area; ie for muscle damage, joint infection, etc. It relieves pain, some types of inflammation, and often results in speedy healing of burns and cuts.

Don't see that it's going to be much help to give it to an animal with a mineral deficiency.

It's dangerous to try messing with medications when you have no idea what their action is and/or what they do to the animal you're giving them to.

milkmaid":1xecmbpy said:
hrbelgians":1xecmbpy said:
Onthebit":1xecmbpy said:

:shock: :???: DMSO? in the vein?

and the purpose of that is....???

Not that you'd need to go IV -- the stuff is dangerous enough as it is, seeing as it crosses membranes and is absorbed into the skin almost instantly. But what on earth is the reasoning behind giving an animal (that likely has a mineral deficiency) a topical med that has a totally unrelated action to what you need??? DMSO can carry other drugs across membranes and is often mixed with other drugs (like nitrofurazone) and applied topically because skin isn't a boundary for DMSO like it is for other medications. It's also used to increase blood flow to a particular area; ie for muscle damage, joint infection, etc. It relieves pain, some types of inflammation, and often results in speedy healing of burns and cuts.

Don't see that it's going to be much help to give it to an animal with a mineral deficiency.

It's dangerous to try messing with medications when you have no idea what their action is and/or what they do to the animal you're giving them to.

What you said is true....but there have been studies....which you didn't look into that DMSO given in a timely manner can save humans with brain tramas...foals born dummys etc...google it and if you can't find the info then ask me and I will google for you! My father at 75+ was diagnosed with prostrate cancer...inoperable...same time his best friend was diagnosed....my dad went to a clinic for DMSO treatment...and HE STUNK! in a year his friend was dead.....my father got over the prostrate....Alzheimers killed him at 83-that and a defective liver!

The thing that can make you successful is to never close your doors to something new! I will never ever stop learning!

thankyou and good day!

Charlotte

Onthebit":15snug48 said:
What you said is true....but there have been studies....which you didn't look into that DMSO given in a timely manner can save humans with brain tramas...foals born dummys etc...google it and if you can't find the info then ask me and I will google for you! My father at 75+ was diagnosed with prostrate cancer...inoperable...same time his best friend was diagnosed....my dad went to a clinic for DMSO treatment...and HE STUNK! in a year his friend was dead.....my father got over the prostrate....Alzheimers killed him at 83-that and a defective liver!

And because DMSO cured prostate cancer on one person, it will help a calf with a mineral deficiency how?

I did look at the official DMSO website before I posted to make sure I hadn't missed anything about the properties of DMSO. Saw the part about brain trauma, arthritis, pain, etc. If you have a link to a study on DMSO helping dummy foals with at least some scientific backing, I'd like to see it.

I have nothing against learning about new things, however, I do have a problem with people locking onto a "wonder drug" and using it for things there's no way it can fix. You need to know what you're doing when you use things off label.

Last year an old man teach me this method and it's work. Put maple sirup on your finger (corn sirup does not work good) and 95% of the time the calf will suck your fingers. After, you know what to do...

milkmaid":1f2ivg5t said:
Onthebit":1f2ivg5t said:

And because DMSO cured prostate cancer on one person, it will help a calf with a mineral deficiency how?

I did look at the official DMSO website before I posted to make sure I hadn't missed anything about the properties of DMSO. Saw the part about brain trauma, arthritis, pain, etc. If you have a link to a study on DMSO helping dummy foals with at least some scientific backing, I'd like to see it.

I have nothing against learning about new things, however, I do have a problem with people locking onto a "wonder drug" and using it for things there's no way it can fix. You need to know what you're doing when you use things off label.

i can see im losing u......the imp thing was this: they were going to let the calf go...I wanted to try something......anyways it is a dead calf........too bad......

Onthebit":11z6t6w6 said:
milkmaid":11z6t6w6 said:
Onthebit":11z6t6w6 said:

the calf go...I wanted to try something......anyways it is a dead calf........too bad......

who said the calf was mineral deficient?

Latest posts