Lander, Wyoming

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
Been seeing CowboyRam posts pop up often and noticed he is from Riverton, Wyoming, near Lander.
Now I have never been much of a traveler, but in 1974 a friend and I got in an old white 6 cylinder 1962 Chevrolet truck that had a shift on the steering column that kept popping out of gear, and headed west.
We stayed in a motel every third night to clean up. The rest of the time we slept in the back of the truck under a camper top I had borrowed.
One of the motels was in Lander, Wyoming. The owner led pack horse trips into the Wind River Mountains to fish and hunt. We told hm we would like to catch a trout. He said, just go to the creek here behind the motel, there are trout there. We took our Mitchel 308s and roostertail lures we used for smallmouth bass back in Kentucky and caught several nice cutthroats and rainbows. He stopped in to visit with us and was quite impressed with our success. We hit it off and he told us of several other places to fish in the area. We spent several days there (camping) and I remember the country there very fondly.
We finally got homesick in the Black Hills of South Dakota and drove non stop back home after over two weeks on the road.
Where have 50 years gone?

Been seeing CowboyRam posts pop up often and noticed he is from Riverton, Wyoming, near Lander.
Now I have never been much of a traveler, but in 1974 a friend and I got in an old white 6 cylinder 1962 Chevrolet truck that had a shift on the steering column that kept popping out of gear, and headed west.
We stayed in a motel every third night to clean up. The rest of the time we slept in the back of the truck under a camper top I had borrowed.
One of the motels was in Lander, Wyoming. The owner led pack horse trips into the Wind River Mountains to fish and hunt. We told hm we would like to catch a trout. He said, just go to the creek here behind the motel, there are trout there. We took our Mitchel 308s and roostertail lures we used for smallmouth bass back in Kentucky and caught several nice cutthroats and rainbows. He stopped in to visit with us and was quite impressed with our success. We hit it off and he told us of several other places to fish in the area. We spent several days there (camping) and I remember the country there very fondly.
We finally got homesick in the Black Hills of South Dakota and drove non stop back home after over two weeks on the road.
Where have 50 years gone?
It's hard to find cutthroat water nowadays. And I can't remember the last time I saw a real rainbow. I miss those times when the limit was the same no matter where you fished.

I grew up near Lander and the family ranch is there with one of my sisters managing it. Lander is on the Middle Popo Agie River. Popo Agie is pronounced popo'zhia which is some bastardized and commingled Indian/French trapper name. I try and get up that way when I can, but it's a 5-hour trip from where I live.

Spent a month just outside there this summer in Dubois or rather on a pack trip based out of there up into the Shoshone Nat'l Forest. Loved every minute of it. Thats me in the brown vest. Wish I could get my better half to relocate somewhere along the Rockies. Wyoming is fascinating to drive across with the variations in landscape. PXL_20230812_185706603.jpeg

Spent a month just outside there this summer in Dubois or rather on a pack trip based out of there up into the Shoshone Nat'l Forest. Loved every minute of it. Thats me in the brown vest. Wish I could get my better half to relocate somewhere along the Rockies. Wyoming is fascinating to drive across with the variations in landscape. View attachment 37657
Great way to see the hard to get to places.

Latest posts