Lancer RA

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anyone keep any heifers sired by Beckton Lancer F442 T?

Thanks
dun

Dun,
We have quite a few F442's in our herd. Initially, we used him on our SMxAN heifers and then liked what we saw so much that we then plugged him into our Red Angus herd. His daughters have fit quite well into our harsh environment....they have been easy fleshing and he is certainly an udder improver from our standpoint. In fact, I have liked his daughters more than his sons. JMHO.

KB":2catpzan said:
Dun,
We have quite a few F442's in our herd. Initially, we used him on our SMxAN heifers and then liked what we saw so much that we then plugged him into our Red Angus herd. His daughters have fit quite well into our harsh environment....they have been easy fleshing and he is certainly an udder improver from our standpoint. In fact, I have liked his daughters more than his sons. JMHO.

How have his daughters weaning weights run. That's my concern. If they will still wean a heavy calf then the added carcass values that they should carry will certainly allow more latitude in bull selection. We're havingto be more critical in possible replacement retention this year because all but one of the cows that we wanted heifers from had heifers and a couple that we would have liked heifers from but bred to Lancer because they've never thrown a heifer calf also had heifers. It's a good and bad postition to be in. To keep the total numbers down to the point that we want we'll have to ship some awfully good heifers either to the feedlot or sell as breeders to someone else.

dun

Dun,
In our Red Angus herd, the F442 daughters have averaged right around 98 WW Ratio on their calves thus far. I'd have to do a little research amongst the SMxAN data to find out that answer there. This would be compared to some major AI sires including Cherokee, Major League, Vacation, Cheyenne, B571, Vaquero...etc.

Feet? We've not experienced any problems on our F442 progeny....the bulls have all been big, sound footed and the females are good so far as well. I do think that they sit a little lower on their heels than some other sire lines as a rule, but we haven't witnessed any long toes which could easily cause problems in our part of the world.

I'm glad he hasn't caused foot problems for you. He is the worst footed bull I've seen according to the ABS GTS Data. His picture also confirms a poor foot on him.

Latest posts