Ladies - AIing/Palpating

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
This is just out of curiosity, but what's the largest number of cows per day that you've heard of a woman doing, or that you do yourselves? Or what is the industry standard that we're supposed to be able to do?? I'll go ahead and say that I've palpated 100 one time, and I AI'd about 30 heifers this spring. Thankfully my husband is able to back me up now because by that last one I could NOT make my hand work anymore! I'll also throw in my disclaimer that I'll usually go weeks or even months between doing either.

That's a load of them for anyone. Being the strange old phart I am, I don;t see why a woman can't do as many as a man. Rather than gender, age has a lot more bearing on how much can be done.

The AI guy that i talked to before did 600 a day but he just stood there and bred cows other people moved the cattle and the AI guys bred as many as they could i think he said he did it for a month it was a HUGE black angus farm in Russia and he wasn`t the only AI guy they had a bunch of them doing it

When I left CA I handed all of my business off to a guy that married a breeder's daughter. She'd bred cows since she was a teenager and taught him as much or more than I did. During our business hand-off while I was on one of my trips here to Oklahoma but was still in charge of getting cows bred in CA her hubby got violently sick on a day when he was supposed to breed my route and then go help with his father in laws beef cattle after work. She bred around 180 for me and then went and did another two hundred beef cows that day and then bred my route for the next three days until hubby could get back to work and averaged 150 a day on those days.

I only AI my own and started doing so in 2003. Usually AI on natural standing heats so it is a bit spread out.Last week did 8 in one day as they were sync'ed and last year had 12 in one day ( 5 were donors so were done twice each). If my arthritis isn't playing up ( yep, Im a senior citizen...) I'm fine, otherwise a couple a day is enough. I have an ET technician to flush and implant but I do everything else. We use our own Angus cows as recips. Sometimes I think I have magic fingers and other times I want to slit my wrists. My husband refers to me as "the bull in a bra". Good sense of humour, we Aussies. He is the official tail holder!

Most years I would AI from 20 to 30 cows and heifers, may do more this year as some new bulls I want to try. Also use a few of our home bred bulls natural service so I can see how our breeding program is working.
I don't palpate as we have a very good ultrasound technician who is extremely accurate in gauging number weeks pregnant.

You do well Diana.

I know of a lady vet that used to work for one of the large pastoral companies in northern Australia. She would fly into the property for the day and usually palpate over 500 before smoko. I can't remember how many she did in a day but a phenominal number very few males could go at her pace.

Ken

ricebeltrancher":1ggcigdl said:
This is just out of curiosity, but what's the largest number of cows per day that you've heard of a woman doing, or that you do yourselves? Or what is the industry standard that we're supposed to be able to do?? I'll go ahead and say that I've palpated 100 one time, and I AI'd about 30 heifers this spring. Thankfully my husband is able to back me up now because by that last one I could NOT make my hand work anymore! I'll also throw in my disclaimer that I'll usually go weeks or even months between doing either.
Wy wife always did the breeding and probalby never did over 20 at one time but betcha she consistently got 19 of those in calf the first time. I did the palpating and was good until the first cow bit down on my arm real hard and numbed the whole thing. Sometimes that would be after 20 sometimes after 70-80. Old vet told me once that after 50 it's more of a "guess". I tend to agree especially is your arm is getting numb. BTW my wife now had terrible arthritis in her left shoulder and elbow.

TexasBred":3tdcqklm said:
I did the palpating and was good until the first cow bit down on my arm real hard and numbed the whole thing. Sometimes that would be after 20 sometimes after 70-80.

I'm not surprised! I guess they palpate differently in Texas. In Florida, we palpate using the other end. Not nearly as many teeth. :dunce:

Gators Rule":wwizf0sk said:
TexasBred":wwizf0sk said:
I did the palpating and was good until the first cow bit down on my arm real hard and numbed the whole thing. Sometimes that would be after 20 sometimes after 70-80.

I'm not surprised! I guess they palpate differently in Texas. In Florida, we palpate using the other end. Not nearly as many teeth. :dunce:

That Made me chuckle out load. TB aint too brite any way

Gators Rule":37xvhr9j said:
TexasBred":37xvhr9j said:

Evidently you have no idea how strong the sphinster is on a mature cow, and yes it feels just like they bite down on your arm.

TexasBred":2i44o7m1 said:
Gators Rule":2i44o7m1 said:
TexasBred":2i44o7m1 said:

Evidently you have no idea how strong the sphinster is on a mature cow, and yes it feels just like they bite down on your arm.
More like a HUGE vise trying to crush your arm/hand

Spot on Dun. I just let my arm and hand go limp and wait until contraction eases (silently cussing, sometimes not so silently).if I AI at night(in dark) cows seem more relaxed and so do I (maybe because I had a few wines with dinner ( supper). :D

diana55":2it0mhve said:
Spot on Dun. I just let my arm and hand go limp and wait until contraction eases (silently cussing, sometimes not so silently).if I AI at night(in dark) cows seem more relaxed and so do I (maybe because I had a few wines with dinner ( supper). :D
Going limp is about all you can do. Your arm is going to be numb anyway so why fight it.

dun":3c8a1krf said:
TexasBred":3c8a1krf said:
Gators Rule":3c8a1krf said:

This is why a petite lady should do this job :D

And to answer the original question, I have absolutely no idea. Most I usually do in a breeding season will be about 14 in a day, when they all come on heat at once (average is more like 6 - 8 daily for the first three weeks). I guess the breeding company techs do as many as the male version, which would be a couple of hundred a day during the breeding season.

regolith":3bibqmrm said:
dun":3bibqmrm said:
TexasBred":3bibqmrm said:

When she sucks it down the a soda straw size, it doesn;t matter how petite the arm is. I don;t think you could even squeeze a pipette in the rectum it's so tight.

regolith":jq9d9h8w said:
dun":jq9d9h8w said:
TexasBred":jq9d9h8w said:

MY wife IS a petite lady!!

dun":10pcljve said:
regolith":10pcljve said:
dun":10pcljve said:

When she sucks it down the a soda straw size, it doesn;t matter how petite the arm is. I don;t think you could even squeeze a pipette in the rectum it's so tight.
There's a reason some call it a "turd cutter". :nod: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts