lactating cow drying up

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I have a healthy second calf cow in milk for about 4 months. When she just started lactating she looked fine but quickly seemed to dry up in two quarters. I checked each quarter when I had her in the chute - nothing looked unusual except quantity - no signs of mastitis in any quarter. Two quarters full, two empty - but they empty still had some milk. Calf nurses all 4. Any idea what causes this? Any experience suggesting things will balance out during her next lactation?

It's possible the quarters could come back but it's not sounding good.
Most likely mastitis that wasn't detected - could have been subclinical. I've had two cows that did this after calving every year but both ended up with mastitis in the quarter/quarters eventually, so even though it wasn't detectable (by any means) for a year or two I can't say mastitis didn't cause it.
Possible that she started with too much milk and the calf concentrated on two and only tasted the other two occasionally? That would do it too.

Red Bull Breeder":zmjwu4u5 said:
Is the calf growing decent? If it is just don't look.

Funny. Calf is fine. Not a standout but not a dink. Cow is young, easy keeping, easy breeding, great disposition and confirmation. But I'm land limited so someone has to get culled. Hate to see her go if those quarters will come back, but I prolly won't know till next calf I guess.....

I have a old cow here that has a terrible utter, front quarters are just not there yet she breeds back on time and weans a 600 lb plus calf every year. As long as she keeps doing that she stays. If I were you and had some else the maybe was slow to breed back or didn't raise as good a calf they would go first.

Latest posts