Labor cost

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
There seems to be considerable differences in what contractors charge per foot to construct a fence.
Labor only , material not included , what would would you charge or expect to pay for a fence:

1320 foot 5 barb wire, welded pipe corners on each end , T- post 12 ft , apart , in line pipe post every 100 ft. Include welding corners as part of labor cost.

Turnkey. Labor and materials
For the most part I don't want customer supplying materials. I want what I need when I need it, plus I can buy it cheaper than you.
Don't use someone who wants a dime before their completely finished

Fenceman, that's about twice what they charge around here per foot. The only difference is they use wooden corners here, and mexicans. But that's also clean ground with no rocks.

callmefence":2niqnbfe said:
For the most part I don't want customer supplying materials. I want what I need when I need it, plus I can buy it cheaper than you.

SOME OF THE BEST ADVICE YOU'LL EVER GET.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insurance company paid for new roof last year.Roofer wanted me to give him the advance check from the insurance company the day he bid the job. Told him "adios".

Fence's price sounds pretty much on the money for around here. Pipe fence runs about $13 a foot.

Nobody here does custom fence work. I've knocked around doing it in retirement, but that wouldn't really be retiring. Fence's price doesnt seem out of line.

True Grit Farms":2ynd3qd2 said:
Fenceman, that's about twice what they charge around here per foot. The only difference is they use wooden corners here, and mexicans. But that's also clean ground with no rocks.

Labor & Materials? :shock:

Your right on fence... and I would have a hard time getting them out for that small of a job also. They are busy. Its at least 6 months wait.

Well I only see $1,500. maximum in materials myself. I know location and where to buy makes a big difference. I went by the local TSC prices and averaged up the prices for 120 t-post, 20-5"to6"x8' pt. post, and 5 rolls of high tensile 15ga. barbed wire, and I came up with $1080.
My neighbor always figured 1/3 for labor, 1/3 for materials, and a 1/3 for equipment when he owned Atlas fence, and AA American fence.
And that would be almost exactly the same as Fenceman's price, but the OP was asking for a labor only price.
Fenceman, can 3 good men put a mile of 5 strand up in a 10 hour day?

I was just curious as to what others charged, average of $1.50 for labor is what some charge around here, then some charge about that price then charge $75 an hour to weld the corner braces.
What is the average hourly wage paid to a laborer , I know this is getting personal, but that is how I learn by asking questions. I have hear of some paying $15 to $20 an hour, then some pay only minimum wage.

True Grit Farms":2ym7t71j said:
Well I only see $1,500. maximum in materials myself. I know location and where to buy makes a big difference. I went by the local TSC prices and averaged up the prices for 120 t-post, 20-5"to6"x8' pt. post, and 5 rolls of high tensile 15ga. barbed wire, and I came up with $1080.
My neighbor always figured 1/3 for labor, 1/3 for materials, and a 1/3 for equipment when he owned Atlas fence, and AA American fence.
And that would be almost exactly the same as Fenceman's price, but the OP was asking for a labor only price.
Fenceman, can 3 good men put a mile of 5 strand up in a 10 hour day?

You did good grit. I generally figure a dollar a foot for materials. Includes a cushion for incidentals and fuel. That leaves a 1.75 for labor.
Now in labor is wages, insurance, ss, medicade , advertising, covering warranty, and every other little expense.
I would expect a good crew to do a straight quarter a day.

I'll start a green hand at 10.00
One that can weld and ramrod a crew. Can make 25.00

Anything else?

One more thing, how many employees do you keep in a crew? Do you have a large employee turnover?
Told you I was nosey :cboy:
Thanks for the info. been a big help.

cowboy43":1x4bnxe6 said:
One more thing, how many employees do you keep in a crew? Do you have a large employee turnover?
Told you I was nosey :cboy:
Thanks for the info. been a big help.

1 to 6 depending on the job. 1 man can do a repair. We build a fair amount of baseball fields and a little other commercial work. Your usually under a deadline and the general contracter wants to see lots of bodies on site.
I 've done plenty of farm and ranch stuff alone and I kinda enjoy it.
. Both on employee turnover. We see lots that come and just are not cut out for the work. I've got a few roughnecks that have worked for me on and off for 10 years+. My right hand man right now has been here full time for about 4 years.. I don't work illegals or hardcore criminals. And that makes finding labor difficult. But I feel that it's important to be careful about who I take on a customer s property. And customers notice that.
You feel free to ask me anything cowboy.
If you would like to come work with us a day, your always welcome :cboy:

Brute 23":2en1acu8 said:
callmefence":2en1acu8 said:

How do you get materials cheaper?

I would imagine the same way that Walmart buys stuff cheaper than you local mom and pop shop. When you buy a sheitload of something, suppliers tend to give you a better price.

Ol' 243":25m2ymac said:
Brute 23":25m2ymac said:
callmefence":25m2ymac said:

I would imagine the same way that Walmart buys stuff cheaper than you local mom and pop shop. When you buy a sheitload of something, suppliers tend to give you a better price.

Brute 23":3ecn8woh said:
callmefence":3ecn8woh said:

Im sure the fence supply is similar to the roofing supply. a Contractor can buy a sq of shingles several dollars less per sq than a homeowner can. In my business a homeowner will buy 1 maybe 2 roofs a contractor will buy 4 roofs a week. I tell customers that up front some are too thick skulled to understand the concept but most get it. what this does in reality is save the consumer money if you buy your own material and then contract the labor you pay more. If you let the contractor provide his material he will save you the cost of the material.

M-5":m07h5s99 said:
Brute 23":m07h5s99 said:
callmefence":m07h5s99 said:

Im sure the fence supply is similar to the roofing supply. a Contractor can buy a sq of shingles several dollars less per sq than a homeowner can. In my business a homeowner will buy 1 maybe 2 roofs a contractor will buy 4 roofs a week. I tell customers that up front some are too thick skulled to understand the concept but most get it. what this does in reality is save the consumer money if you buy your own material and then contract the labor you pay more. If you let the contractor provide his material he will save you the cost of the material.

Bingo. We don't buy from tsc or home depot . ( except for lumber and we get a discount) we buy either from the manufacturer or someone very close to them. And we've bought from the same vendors for decades. When steel prices really get right , we invest.

Latest posts