LA300 dosage?

Help Support CattleToday:

What are you treating for and what dose does your vet recommend for the situation?

The otc dosage is 3 cc and the rx dose is 4.5 cc/cwt. The rx dosage is supposed to maintain therapeutic blood levels for 7-8 days as opposed to 3-4 days for the lower dosage.

ousoonerfan22":3dogc4d4 said:
Do you guys give 3 cc's or 5 cc's per 100 lbs?

My Vet told me not to exceed 10 cc's no matter what every 3 day's when I was treating a 1400 cow for foot rot.
You might want to check with your vet.

I'm no huge fan of LA 300. Tell us what the issue is. Guarantee somebody will know something better. Pinkeye is all I use it on mainly due to price.

Treating pinkeye,I've been using 3 cc's but a vet told me to go with 5 cc's.
I thought LA300 was good for 7 days but didn't know it was only 3-4 days when going with the 3 cc dose,I need to read the directions better.

LA300 is 300mg/mL of oxytetracycline... LA200 is 200mg/mL of oxytetracycline. Giving 3mL/100lbs of LA300 means the animal gets 9mg of oxytet per 100lbs. Giving 5mL/100lbs of LA200 (standard dose) means the animal gets 10mg of oxytet per 100lbs. Giving 5mL/100lbs of LA300 means 15mg/oxytet/100lbs. Note that the standard dose of LA200 gives a higher dose of antibiotic than the OTC dose of LA300....

I guess the question is whether you are trying to put less volume into the animal with the same dose, or whether you're trying for a higher dose (mg of oxytet).... in which case you could accomplish that by increasing the volume of LA200.

I thought the best thing about LA300 was only having to give a shot once in 7 days instead of every 3 days with LA200?

I have used the 300 LA very successfully for pinkeye. I do use the 3cc recommended dose and no more
than 12cc in one injection site.

Just a quick reminder, when using ANY antibioitc "off label" or higher doseage than label recommendations, is also INCREASING your withdrawl time. If you are going to use higher levels of anitibiotic that the label directions, BE SURE you have in writing from your veterinarian (even if the antibiotic is an "over the counter-not Rx drug" that he is recommending the higher dose, and also be sure he INCLUDES the withdrawl time IN WRITING. As a cattle producer, we want to insure our product is safe when we are selling. and their is a new test coming out for Residue Testing, that will test for way more antibiotics, and way smaller residue amounts, so we all want to be sure we are treating animals safely.
Becky

Had a guy come and give a bull a dose of 300 LA for pinkeye. Does one does usually get rid of it? He has it pretty bad.

On some that the eye looked really bad I gave another dose after 7-8 days but I was only giving 3 cc's per 100 lbs.

ousoonerfan22":2o5esgdc said:
On some that the eye looked really bad I gave another dose after 7-8 days but I was only giving 3 cc's per 100 lbs.

If you flush the eye with a 10-20% clorox and water solution it will clear up must faster.

Thanks CB and Sooner. It was in what appeared to be stage III. If I don't start seeing results we will give him another round in 7 days and try the eye flush.

Give him another dose, then spray the eye with Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray (that is labeled for food producing animals), it doesn't sting or stain, and does a nice job. Covering the eye with a patch & Glue will also help alot, by keeping the bring light out of it. It will pretty much fall off on it's own, so you usually don't have to worry about getting the animal back in and removing it.

I used the Vetericyn spray today. I will continue it for a couple of days and may give him another round of LA this weekend. Son old timers say it will get better just as fast if I let it run its course. Any truth to this?

Latest posts