La Nina

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Is the dry one, weather man just said it may come back August or Sept. Last one lasted 2 years 2010 and 2011 . Causing thousands of cattle to be liquated. 2011 rainfall was 7.5 inches in central Tx.
Nothing scares me more than a drought. I have been thinking of increasing my cow numbers, now I just don't know. :cboy:

Last year was one of the driest in years for us.. 7.5" of rainfall sounds about like what we had last year, especially if you consider the growing season from March to October was only about 2"

Is anyone on the forum from Canada being effected by the fires, really looks bad loosing all their positions, and some being trapped.

I meant loosing all your possessions not positions. We had similar situation here with the Bastrop fires in 2011 Burning 35000 acres and 1700 homes.

I think most of the fires are up in the Fort McMurray area... and that's one heck of a fire.. we have already had a couple smaller fires around here, but nothing of that scale... The rest of the year will remain to be seen, we are well set up for some nasty ones.. spring rains brings grass, that dries out by july, then watch out!

Brute 23":xh4sa9vx said:
It's drying up fast here. All that rain jas been north of us. I know the last 3 month we are lucky if we got 2".
Can't get to my records right now but we've probably gotten 3 to 4 inches the past couple of weeks. We have an abundance of ryegrass that must be sucking a lot of moisture out of the ground because as saturated the found has been it is drying out fast.going to be a tinder box when it all gets ripe.

cowboy43":2tg9i92g said:
Is the dry one, weather man just said it may come back August or Sept. Last one lasted 2 years 2010 and 2011 . Causing thousands of cattle to be liquated. 2011 rainfall was 7.5 inches in central Tx.
Nothing scares me more than a drought. I have been thinking of increasing my cow numbers, now I just don't know. :cboy:
I never restocked to pre drought levels and never will.
That said we are having one of the wettest years ever I can't drive a mule through a pasture without rutting it up.
Tomorrow might be the first day of the next drought

Caustic Burno":1y4hy2lk said:
That said we are having one of the wettest years ever I can't drive a mule through a pasture without rutting it up.
Tomorrow might be the first day of the next drought

Same here. We have had an abundance of rain already. It did this last year too. We had way too much rain in the spring. You couldn't get in a hay field until it was already headed out and then the rain stopped and we got a sorry excuse for a second cut. I'm hoping this year isn't a repeat.

1982vett":1q476cs3 said:
Brute 23":1q476cs3 said:
It's drying up fast here. All that rain jas been north of us. I know the last 3 month we are lucky if we got 2".
Can't get to my records right now but we've probably gotten 3 to 4 inches the past couple of weeks. We have an abundance of ryegrass that must be sucking a lot of moisture out of the ground because as saturated the found has been it is drying out fast.going to be a tinder box when it all gets ripe.

Yep I'm seeing it all over. There's Huge blocks of dead cedar. Killed by the drought. With the cedars dead the grass has returned but the dense brush of the dead cedars keeps cattle from grazing it. So when the rain stops. We'll have waist high dead grass in dead cedar breaks. :shock:

The state should begin educating , encouraging and maybe even helping with control burns. When conditions are favorable.
Right now it won't burn . There will be a very small window between when it can be burned with control and when it becomes explosive

In 2011 I had just bought a place in king co tx
About 5" a rain and over 100 days of over 100 degrees
Lots of day were 99 and so didn't count in the total days of over a 100
Lots were 110 or more
It was just a fe miles from the 6666 and they burned all summer
I'd go to bed at night and could see the glow of the fires
I'd leave for a few days for work and wonder if I'd have anything to come home too
I'll take a pass on the next one

Latest posts