LA 200 v.s. Nuflor

Help Support CattleToday:

No, as clumsy as I am the last thing I need is to use a product that can kill me. :oops: :lol: :lol:

[email protected]":2jmilur8 said:
Any body ever use Micotil antibiotic?
I love it for BRD applications. I wouldn't be without it. As long as the buzzards haven't started eating on one yet, the Micotil will usually make him get up and shake it off.

I've used the Micotil, but only about three times, and those were severe cases that weren't responding to the Nuflor treatment for their pneumonia.

Works great, but if the bill for the bottle doesn't kill you, the Micotil will if you accidentally inject yourself. Definately not drugs to carry in a syringe with needle attached in your pocket.

Take care.

Tetradure and La 200 are the same active ingredient, but different carriers. Tetradure lasts 7 days vs LA 48-72 hrs. Tetradure costs more per bottle but is comperable when you figure using 1 dose vs 2-3 doses.
Gentamycin is banned due to similarities to human drugs and the fact they can reportedly find residues in the kidney 18months later. Can you gaurantee that a sick animal today will not enter the food chain for a year and a half.
Some drugs do interfere with each other. Biggest problems I see when an antibiotic doesn't work is: expecting an antibiotic to cure a virus(they only work against bacteria), expecting instant results( may take days so be patient), giving the wrong dose(Read the Label!), and catching the problem too late.
Ultimately, what works best will vary from area to area, person to person, and animal to animal.

We had a nasty bug in our calves and nothing was working. The Vet prescribed and gave us a bottle of Gentamycin(Yes he put his sticker on bottle). If it is BANNED as more than one post has stated, did the Vet do wrong to give us this product?
This was over 10 months ago. Could it have just recently been banned? P.S. It worked.

K-SHIRES":2qphwetw said:
We had a nasty bug in our calves and nothing was working. The Vet prescribed and gave us a bottle of Gentamycin(Yes he put his sticker on bottle). If it is BANNED as more than one post has stated, did the Vet do wrong to give us this product?
This was over 10 months ago. Could it have just recently been banned? P.S. It worked.

It can work well. :nod: Been there done that. I do have one yearling heifer here that was treated as a calf. BUT- that was long before I knew it was prohibited. As of July of '98, and yet my vet still recommends it and prescribes it. That's the biggest reason I tell folks now not to blindly trust everyone who offers advice or has a DVM after their name. Have to do your own research. I don't give drugs if I don't know what they are, why they're prescribed, and what side effects and withdrawal times accompany them.

Here's the list of banned drugs, for your reference. http://www.saanendoah.com/prohibiteddrugs.html

I have a policy now that I won't treat any bull calves with gentamycin...heifer calves I might, under certain circumstances. Due to the worth of the calves and that they won't be entering the milking herd before they're about 24 months of age, so under certain circumstances and only orally (for scours), not IM/SC, I might consider using it on a heifer. Not that I'd make a standard practice of using that stuff - it isn't allowed and it'd have to be a special case, as well as a very young calf. But then I keep track of what all my animals have been treated with and when, and I'm careful on withdrawals.

To answer your question- IMO your vet did you wrong on two counts. One, prescribing that drug in the first place. Secondly, not telling you the restrictions on it, side effects, and extended withdrawal times on the drug. JMO.

Another article or two on gentamycin.

From an Ohio State University news letter:

Carefully Monitor Drug Withdrawal Times - William P. Shulaw DVM, MS, Extension Veterinarian, Beef/Sheep, The Ohio State University

As the season for cattle movement and respiratory disease treatment is on us, perhaps this reminder from the FDA Investigator in the article that follows might be appropriate to review. It illustrates why good records and movement of records with cattle is part of the Quality Assurance process.

Use of gentamicin is not specifically prohibited in cattle by the FDA, like chloramphenicol or the nitrofurans. However, it's use has been strongly discouraged by the AVMA, AVC, and the AABP because of residue concerns. In the case below, only ocular and oral use are mentioned and one might suspect that residues wouldn't be as prolonged. However, apparently they were. It has been suggested that intramuscular use may result in kidney residues for 24 months or longer.

Think Twice Before Using Gentamicin - Linda Cline, FDA Investigator

No one was thinking about drug residues when they treated several hundred head of sick young calves that had just traveled hundreds of miles from dairy farms in Idaho and Washington. They were just trying to keep them alive and save their sight, because many were scouring and

suffering with severe pinkeye. Using gentamicin under a veterinarian's direction seemed to be the most effective treatment when given orally to treat the scours and used as a flush in the calves' eyes. The calves recovered and in another two months were in good enough shape to be shipped out to feedlots.

Another year would pass before the calves had grown and reached market weight. No one was thinking about drug residues when the calves, now grown to steers, were shipped for slaughter, because no one had treated them at the feedlot. Sampling by USDA at the slaughter plant changed everyone's thinking when a gentamicin residue was found in the kidney of the steer sampled.

There is no "tolerance" for gentamicin in cattle, because a gentamicin-containing drug has not been approved for use in cattle. Gentamicin is known to bind to the kidney tissue of cattle irregardless of the route of administration and could be a residue concern for 18 months or more. In fact, no withdrawal period has been scientifically established in cattle for those veterinarians searching the literature for direction in an "extra-label" use scenario. No one thought about a drug being sustained in an animal for a year or more, but gentamicin is different and professionals treating cattle need to know this. In this investigation, veterinarians involved in treating the calves recommended a six-month withdrawal period and their colleagues were their source of the withdrawal period. There was a learning experience from this investigation for the professionals involved when they were informed of the unusual residue problems with gentamicin, and subsequently stopped using it in dairy and feedlot cattle.

CVM's Dr. Mike Talley notes that "veterinarians and producers should be aware that there are approved drugs to treat the conditions described in calves that have much less potential for prolonged residues available for extra-label use if the approved drugs were found not to be effective by the prescribing veterinarian. In addition, the American Association of Bovine Practitioners (AABP), the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), and the Academy of Veterinary Consultants have position papers or resolutions saying that aminoglycosides should not be used for extra-label purposes in cattle."

Also- http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g4525d.htm

And something Vicky said...
Vicky the vet":2zkgufr9 said:
milkmaid":2zkgufr9 said:
Quote from the container of gentamicin sulfate solution:

...that recommended doeses of gentamicin produce serum concentrations bactericidal for most bacteria sensitive to gentamicin with an an hour after intramuscular injection; these concentrations last for 6 to 12 hours...Fifty to 100% of the gentamicin injected can be recovered unchanged within 24 hours from the urine of patients with normal renal function....Toxicity Studies: No toxic effects were observed in rats given gentamicin sulfate 20/mg/kg/day for 24 days; in cats given 10/mg/kg/day for 40 days. Gentamicin sulfate given to dogs at 6/mg/lb/day, 6 days weekly for 3 weeks, caused no detectable kidney damage. At higher doses, impariment of equilibrium and renal function were observed in these species.
I'd take that with one heck of a grain of salt. Gentamycin is well known to cause renal damage especially when the animal is dehydrated--and scouring calves are almost always dehydrated. And as for the bottle saying it's flushed out in 24 hours--hog wash!! It reaches subtherapeutic levels so must be repeated, but this is one antibiotic which lives on in the tissues (especially the kidneys) for one heck of a long time. It can be detected in the MUSCLE 6 months later. There are other effective antibiotics which are preferable to this one. This drug is no longer easily purchased in an injectable form in Canada from this kind of misuse.

Latest posts