killing wild hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well we finally had some wild hogs come up to the house.an old russia black sow an 3 lil piggletts.shot an killed 1 pigglett pretty quick.an bro ran out of bullets.old sow came back to her dead pigglett.so fired 2 or 3 more shots at her.prolly didnt kill her.but will know when we go out an see because they went down the road.

How big was she? I dont think I have ever heard of them coming close to a house around here....they normally stay in the creek bottom and deep woods here...

she was prolly 200 to 250lbs.an her lil piggletts was prolly 15 to 20lbs.know we killed 1 pigglett for sure.an bro says he hitt the sow.but he dont think he hurt her to bad.because she has a tough old hide.i was shocked that they came up to the house.the old sow would take a run at the cowdog.an the dog would run at her.

Beef08":34n7zi8g said:
I dont think I have ever heard of them coming close to a house around here....
Oh yeah, neighbor has an electric fence around his house to keep them from digging up his yard. I've had them come within 20 ft of the house.

What did ya'll shoot them with? I sure am happy they dont come close to my house and dig...nothing makes me madder than a dog or armadillo ( spelling?) digging in the yard

used the shotgun the 1st 2 times.an it stopped 1 pigglett.but didnt kill it.then used the 22 pistol to finish it.

I got tree'd by a sow walking to my duck hunting site early one morning. What do you call 20 or so feral hogs beded down in your path? A herd maybe? Anyhow I was young and dumb enough to go duck hunting on my own on some secluded public land that I had scouted out. I came across a bunch of feral hogs and I acted like they weren't there as they ran off (I was already tired with decoys, ammo, lunch and water on my back, Flashlight in my left hand and Shotgun in my right.) I keeped walking through were they were beded down. (This is like 5 am in the morning, so its pitch dark in the woods except for my cheesey flashlight.) When I notice one big pig ain't moving. I ease up to a tree (for protection) and stare her down, trying to figure out why he/she ain't moving. I've heard enough stories to be scared now. This pig is only 14 feet from me. She is big. I manage to scare off probably 20 of them on accident but this one is hanging around. (All I have is steel shot wich would probably just make her mad). I hear some movement behind me and shine the light to see some very tiny piglets stumbling around in the leaves. I realize I've walked in between big momma and her piglets. I know who belongs here and who doesn't so I climb up in the tree. She took her sweet time gathering them up too. I figure I was in the tree about 20 or 30 minutes. That is a long time juggling a shotgun and flashlight. Well. Once I got to my duck hunting site I probably flushed 20 ducks plopping my tired butt down and getting ready for the morning hunt. Dawn broke and I didn't see a single duck. The ducks must of roosted there and thats it. If anyone wants a good spot to bow hunt feral hogs on public land PM me. I beat they are still there!

Walt

now walking in to the middle of wildhoggs would scare me.because i know what they can do.an i sure as heck dont want them coming up to the house.

Brother in law emptied a 44 magnum into a big boar several years ago. Knocked him down everytime but only the last shot finally hit a vital spot and killed him.....22's just pi$$ them off.

Black bears are bad enough, but those things sound downright nasty.

Do they actually hurt/kill many folks each year?

( And I ain't talking folks silly enough to try and pet them in a cage! ). :lol:

yes they can tear you up pretty bad.esp if they are old enough to have grown tusks.their tusks can be 4 to 6 in or longer.an they will bite you an cut you up real bad with their tusks.

bigbull338":38vmuiie said:
yes they can tear you up pretty bad.esp if they are old enough to have grown tusks.their tusks can be 4 to 6 in or longer.an they will bite you an cut you up real bad with their tusks.

I had one like that in a trap and transferred it to the pen. That boar somehow broke under the guilotine divider gate while I was in the side pen. I can still vault a six foot fence at this age. I have no idea how he missed slicing me with those cutters. BIL was watching the whole thing in horror and says I nipped out in the nick of time. He would have laid me open if he could have. The top cutters were 5 to 6 inches and the bottom ones were about 4 inches. Three days later most of the teeth were broken from him slamming hisself into the pen walls. As soon as the dude from Cleburne came to get him, he became sausage.

If you get cut by a hog tusk, you'll need to go see your Dr. for treatment asap. Otherwise, terminal infection will set in. Same as getting bit by a Komodo Dragon. Or a Buzzard.

thats the treason i hate wild hogs.is if they tear you up your sick.an takes alot of time to get over it.if you live through it.plus the damage they do to pastures an hay fields.

We don't have wild hogs here in ND. BUT a couple of years ago a guy shot one out in the middle of no where. No one knows where it came from but that thing was huge! They said it took a few shots to put it down . I couldn't imagine having an animal like that around . The cold weather in ND must keep them out, at least the cold is good for something.

ALX.":2pqm2ite said:
Black bears are bad enough, but those things sound downright nasty.

Do they actually hurt/kill many folks each year?

( And I ain't talking folks silly enough to try and pet them in a cage! ). :lol:

Ferral hogs are notorious for charging at hunters. Best thing you can do is climb a tree. Folks around here hunt them using pitbulls.

bigbull338":3q06vkqu said:
thats the treason i hate wild hogs.is if they tear you up your sick.an takes alot of time to get over it.if you live through it.plus the damage they do to pastures an hay fields.

Fence damage is awful too. Some fool will jump shoot a group of 80 and they all hit the fence at the same time. Half go through and the other half bounce over. I have seen wooden posts sheared. They go through wire cattle panels or get their head stuck in them and die right there. Busted panels everywhere.

Dog hunters run groups for miles and through fences. It is not bad at all for individual hogs but when a pack of dogs gets after a bunch, you have a real mess on your hands. They can cost you three days worth of repair in less than 15 minutes if they get into a hundred or so full grown hogs.

We trap he numbers down around here and then the dog hunters come in and run them all over the county. Instant hogs damage all over again.

backhoeboogie":loi0ehhd said:
bigbull338":loi0ehhd said:

Fence damage is awful too. Some fool will jump shoot a group of 80 and they all hit the fence at the same time. Half go through and the other half bounce over. I have seen wooden posts sheared. They go through wire cattle panels or get their head stuck in them and die right there. Busted panels everywhere.

Dog hunters run groups for miles and through fences. It is not bad at all for individual hogs but when a pack of dogs gets after a bunch, you have a real mess on your hands. They can cost you three days worth of repair in less than 15 minutes if they get into a hundred or so full grown hogs.

We trap he numbers down around here and then the dog hunters come in and run them all over the county. Instant hogs damage all over again.

I would rather have the hogs than the hog hunters. Hog dog is first target followed by the hog.
I spent half today repairing fence caused by hogs and hog dogs. Woke up this morning to two black mouth curs, and a pit baying a big boar in the creek bottom pasture.