kids today

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
I'm 37 years old. I graduated college in 91 with a degree in History Education. I married a farmer so I worked as a substitute teacher for 5 years, sold cars and had kids for 6.5, and am back subbing again. As a sub, I get to see the worst in kids it seems, but I like the flexiblity it provides. I have a theory as to why some kids are the way they are, I don't know if you will agree. I believe the parents of these kids were raised in the late 70's and early 80's, a time of rebellion with drugs, alcohol, and sex by the vast majority of teens. I know that happens in all eras, but it seems like it was worse then (as witnessed through our older siblings). I think their parents tried to control them too much and they decided when they had kids to try and be their friend instead of a parent.

One the other hand, I have meet some kids that are just the greatest. They are the reason I keep doing what I'm doing.

Have a great Sunday.

As a kid, I knew Dad would never catch me doing something wrong cause I knew more than him. So the fear of getting a barber's strop across my tail-side didn't stop me from doing some dumb things. What helped me the most, what scared me the most was I knew Dad believed in WEANING. At graduation, the teat came out of your mouth and I'd better make something of myself or get used to living in a cardboard box. I assure you the night of my graduation wasn't a night of celebration but one of soul searching cause I had two weeks and the clock was ticking! :shock:

I put the same rules on my children. No 1 is currently at the USAF Academy. No 2 is currently being courted by a couple of colleges even though he is only in the 10th. No 3 is straight A's and will probably become a Vet and carry on with the cows.

Alot of it has to do with the fast paced life of the city (I think).

I am 38 and know what you mean about kids. My sister married an older guy with 1 son who is 15 now and doesnt understand the concept of hard work. He never had to touch or do anything in his life. He will never make it through college. He may not make it through highschool?

When I was groing up we had chores to do and if the cows,pigs,dogs,chickens,or whatever we had at the time didnt get fed and watered then we didnt eat or get anything to drink. Sounds rough but it taught us responability. I think kids need chores to do but also need to be rewarded if they have done a good job.

My daughter has ( so far ) been a staight A student and will cry at times if she thinks she is getting a bad grade. I try and tell her as long as she done the best she can do then that is all I ask for.

Sorry for the long post.

JHH

JHH":1j0e3db3 said:
Alot of it has to do with the fast paced life of the city (I think).

When I was groing up we had chores to do and if the cows,pigs,dogs,chickens,or whatever we had at the time didnt get fed and watered then we didnt eat or get anything to drink. Sounds rough but it taught us responability. I think kids need chores to do but also need to be rewarded if they have done a good job.

JHH
I don't think city or country are relative to the problems but I do agree that responsibilty as a child changes your behavior as an adult.I was born and raised in the city but have always had to work with chores or part time jobs.Anything I wanted that was extra had to come out of my pocket or I didn't get it.It makes you appreciate things that are yours a lot more and respect other peoples things as well.I have (city and country) friends that have teenagers that get there first cars bought for them nicer than what I drive .They have no responsibilties what so ever besides planning who will host the next party.I think those kids will have trouble in the "real" world.Many is the time that I have to bite my toungue when around them.

I think that a lot of people want to raise their children to have it "easier" than they had it as kids. For example, if you hated chores, then at some point in your life you decided to raise your kids without having them do them. My parents really never made me do very much. I was always respectful, and I wanted to make them proud of me, but that was about it. As a result, I had to learn how to take care of myself when i was older and on my own and didn't have Mamma to take care of me anymore. I want my kids to be self-sufficient. I think I have set them on the right path, but who knows? I turned out okay, but my older brother was an alcolholic who died at 40, penniless and living with my parents. Same parents. Same parenting.

Point is, kids don't come with instruction booklets. And we aren't born with any kind of instinct about it. We do the best we can, and sometimes, out parenting decisions are influenced by what's going on in society, and some people don't seem to have a clue. Makes life interesting.

you guys are always like--oh kids today what the future gonna be like? blah blah blah. but my dad is always tellin me stories that he and his friends did when he was a kid. sounds like about the same thing kids are capable of doing today. but i guess your actual point is that even when he wasnt causing trouble, he did work for his stuff. thats one thing most kids dont do today. but i know back when there still were kids that got whatever they want when they want. ha that reminds what a boy in my class says--i what i want and what i get are the same thing. he doenst have almost any friends, go figure. and you guys think im bad! ppsst im an angel compared to him.

Every generation produces good and bad kids. Always has always will. I doubt the 60's 70's or whatever has anything to do with it. I do believe that in every generation and even todays generation the majority of kids are good and hold a bright future for our country. One bad apple DOES NOT spoil the barrel.

i think it how the parents raise them some ppl have rules and some dont.. i remember when my oldest daughter was in kindergarten a classmate of her mom was talking to me she was mad because her son didnt know his abc's that was the teachers job.. thats called passing the buck...i read to my girls when they were babies. i talked to them. we sang abc whlie swinging inthe back yard.. we have always been involved in what ever our kids were doing.. the girls had chores. and responsibility's but they got pretty much what ever they wanted but they earned it i want them to remember what work is about.. and hard work never hurt any one.last summer my oldest after graduation 4 yr in college w 2 masters.. high honors, and got excepted to OSU vet school worked as a security guard where her dad works and mowed the nursing home lawn... where i work.. i wanted her to not to forget hard work was.. she has even worked onthe garbage truck when our friend was short a person.. both girls are not afraid of work..hopefully they will never have to work as hard as her father or me,, but if they do they will survive ..some just want an hand out... Rose

I don't have any children but i see them everyday. I drive school bus and you can tell the children who get even a bit of disciplne at home and those who do not. The ones who don't can be more difficult.
I think it also comes back to respect. Mr. and Mrs., please and thank you. May I instead of can I. Excuse me please instead of pushing past and knocking you over. Helping a person in need. Taking the time to be a family, eating a meal together, instead of always having to be somewhere doing something.
Just my thoughts on a complex problem.

Mom told me when I was a newborn,the Drs told her that babies had to be fed on a schedul,not to deveate from it one iota,not to pick up the baby,that would spoil the child,no talking to the baby! :mad: In her one moment of rebellion in her life,I was fed when hungry,cuddled when needed,talked to and read to at night.. :heart: Thanks Mom.. :heart: Dr Spocks books were different from the rigid timeing of everything.. And I think his appoligy is an urbin myth. If you will read his book,you will see what I mean. He did not tell parents to give up control,just be a bit less controling..

Kids are kids and for ever shall be.
I figured out that I if I was willing to to take a wipping that I could do just about anything I wanted to. Whipping never did a bit of good on me, just made me a little more careful about being caught.
My dad said onetime that there were no bad kids, they were just the ones that got caught.
We can only hope that children live through their adolence alive and unscared.

All of our problems are caused by those born after the WWII generation, didnt you all know that ? Prior to that no wrong was ever done by anyone and everybody was perfect. :lol:

Cow_Town":u4o0myqd said:
All of our problems are caused by those born after the WWII generation, didnt you all know that ? Prior to that no wrong was ever done by anyone and everybody was perfect. :lol:

I think I read somewhere this comentary about a man complaining about the lazy and shiftless youth of today. Turned out the author was Socrates. That tells you something! There were rebels without a cause in ancient Greece!

I spoke with a friends Dad the other day. Real nice guy. While we said our good byes he said "Call me Mike". I understood the meaning of this and appreciated it. On the other hand I'm thinking I don't want to call you Mike. I want to call you Mr. Smith. He's got about 30 yrs on me and it just makes me feel uncomfortable. Anyhow, while this is not a big deal I teach my children to say Mr. and Mrs, sir and mam. Then adults will tell them "you can call me (first name)." Then what. Maybe we should let kids call us Mr. and Mrs. whatever. It shows they need to respect their elders.

Walt

Txwalt":1vdqiq2e said:
I spoke with a friends Dad the other day. Real nice guy. While we said our good byes he said "Call me Mike". I understood the meaning of this and appreciated it. On the other hand I'm thinking I don't want to call you Mike. I want to call you Mr. Smith. He's got about 30 yrs on me and it just makes me feel uncomfortable. Anyhow, while this is not a big deal I teach my children to say Mr. and Mrs, sir and mam. Then adults will tell them "you can call me (first name)." Then what. Maybe we should let kids call us Mr. and Mrs. whatever. It shows they need to respect their elders.

Walt

Yessir! :clap: :clap:

And I probably have about that many years on you!

Alice

Latest posts