Kids playing with the calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":3apjqir7 said:
trial and error worked for me. having said that, i dont know how i'm still alive.

Sounds to me like a classic case of God protects fools and children, with you being the latter. :lol: :lol:

Baby calves are one thing...baby calves with mama are another. Mama doesn't see a whole lot of sense in anything bothering her baby, and is likely to make it known in a rather negative way. :(

AND, to take that a bit further...I raised a baby calf that didn't stand a chance in hell of living...my brother bought him for $7.50 at the sale. He was the tiniest little holstein bull calf...not much bigger than one of the farm dogs. I worked my tail off on that calf...and he finally turned around, and lived and thrived. I wouldn't let my brother sell him...he was like my testament to my ability. BIG mistake.

He got banded...and grew, and grew, and grew...and he'd been pretty much spoiled by all of us. One day, after he was about 1,000 lbs, he decided to "interact" with my sister-in-law. My brother called me and said, "Ok, your call..what do we do?" I said, "Ship him..." He said, "Good, 'cause Cindy wanted me to go shoot him!"

These calves aren't play pals...when they're little, they're cool, but they grow fast, fast, fast.

Alice

:p I have 4 on bottles right now. The heifers are about a month old. One of them got down right rude and rammy
and got a good "whack" across the nose. She learned quickly
to not get in my space. :roll: the other two are bull calves
( banded) and are not handled like the hiefers are. a neighbor
wants to buy them at 500 lbs to feed out for his freezer. ( the
same fate as last years bottle steers) One of the heifers will be a 4-h starter calf and a replacement heifer. She is really
nice! :D These are all herefords. :heart:

Wouldn't do it. I got a flying lesson Saturday from a 700 lb steer who was just playing. He put his nose in the seat of my pants and away I went. I couldn't have done better on a trampoline. Landed on my feet though. :p

Heritage_Farmboy":1z6atr31 said:
I always just let my younguns find out the hard way...i'd give em a warning...then when they got headbutted into the fence...they realized to obey my warnings :)

Please tell me you are joking! right have a 7 year old ram into a Fence.

to the OP
Cattle are not pets don't let a kid ever play with one. the Mother cow could kill them fast or slow. also you are teaching the Calf a real nasty habit.

Heritage_Farmboy":3vhp7rtc said:
I always just let my younguns find out the hard way...i'd give em a warning...then when they got headbutted into the fence...they realized to obey my warnings :)

Saw this last evening when I went to check on the animals: A small calf (two months old) walked between the bull and the fence. The bull head-butted the calf and tossed him to move him out of the way. The calf hit and somewhat tried to wrap around a metal fence post. One of his front legs went through to the outside over the second strand of barb wire. Both back legs went out over the bottom strand. The bull hit him three more times before I got close enough for him to back off. The bull wasn't mad or trying to hurt anyone, just wanted the calf to move! I hate to think that could have been one of my grandkids! IMO, as adults, we have to be intelligent enough to realize that not all lessons should be learned the hard way!

Latest posts