Keeping records

Help Support CattleToday:

Jen

Reaction score
Not exactly sure where I should have started this thread, but since it has to do with breeding and calves I hope this is close. Anyone use the CHAPS program or something similar? I don't know if I want to spend the money on it; I am looking to keep track of BW, WW and just calving things in general. Is it user friendly? I heard that the CHAPS program is hard to learn, but really good once you figure it out. Currently, I have a spreadsheet that I designed in excel, but haven't figured out a way to combine all the years so I can look up one cow and see all her calves at once; I think Chaps does that, right? I know operations are different, but any suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks in advance.

With Excel you could have an individual "sheet" named for each cow.
I keep track of the various pastures that way, soil test results, fertilization, spraying, hay harvested, etc.. Works better then I had anticipated it would

We have a spreadsheet that keeps track of a cow's offspring by birth weight, weaning weight, calving interval, how long it takes her to bred back and income for that cow. We tried chaps but was too hard for me.

I use the same one as Randi. I really like it.
You can move the location of your herd and add all the info you want on it.
Enter the calfs tag number, dam and sire info, birth weight, weaning, yearling, breed etc.

Add me to the spreadsheet list, wit excel you can keep good track of anything you want and have as many spreadsheets as you need.

Alan

Latest posts