Keep or cut???

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
Below is a bull calf born 9/2/2011. I can't decide to keep him as a bull or cut him. What would you do?

TopGun10-15-11.jpg

TopGun4thpic10-15-11.jpg

TopGun3rdpic10-15-11.jpg

Jovid I will assume you are kidding. Nice calf. If i could fix him a little I would give him more length to his gaskin muscles but cutting him would have to wait a looooong time at my place.

thought someone said red polls did not have any hip, they need to be continental or something like that

3waycross":1dycjzv5 said:
Jovid I will assume you are kidding. Nice calf. If i could fix him a little I would give him more length to his gaskin muscles but cutting him would have to wait a looooong time at my place.
Agree

Red Bull Breeder":31jmf3dy said:
He is a nice calf Jovid. Back feet and ankles would worry me a little.

I agree with Red Bull Breeder. Also, I would wait until he is 3-5 months old, then if you still have questions and can't decide, cut him and don't look back. At that age calves that will make herd sires really begin to stand out.

I understand your concern, but its still a lot easier to take them off than it is to put them back on, so put the knife away for now. Typically hard muscled bulls like that take time to really grow into themselves and they usually look a lot different at two than you would have thought at 12 months. While he may be a touch extreme for your herd he may be just what the rest of the breed need to add some muscle.

Looks pretty good to me, the only thing I don't really like is the high tailset.

Keep. Especially when you figure that in this market he's worth as much as a bull as he is as a steer. Keep him and if you still don't like him you can sell him by the lb.

When in doubt, do nothing. Like Knersie said, it's easy to take them off; not so easy to put them back. Just because you leave him intact doesn't mean you HAVE to breed him either. Meat bulls are selling really well right now, so no need to rush. So far he looks good to me. I agree he is the type that looks like you'll need some age on before you make a final decision.

I'm just trying to learn a little here...

Anyone have some thoughts about the high tail-set? Is this a concern or not? Why or why not?

Also, what about the high hip height vs. lower shoulder height and significant slope from back to front? Is this a good thing or bad thing? Why or why not?

Cascade":1xtd0ktx said:
I'm just trying to learn a little here...

Anyone have some thoughts about the high tail-set? Is this a concern or not? Why or why not?
Up to a point it is not a huge concern. This calf is a little high but his positives far outweigh that at this point.

Also, what about the high hip height vs. lower shoulder height and significant slope from back to front? Is this a good thing or bad thing? Why or why not?
That's just an indicator that he is not done growing.

Latest posts