KCF Bennett ABSOLUTE low BW & CED sample

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
16 days early, A.I. heifer out of Absolute. Vibrant and sucking. But by far the smallest calf we have ever had, 38#!!!!! Had bought 10 straws for breeding heifers. Smallest of sample sizes but WOW

I was moving some steers and cows around luckily today. This one and a few others were getting moved to the calving pasture, she sure showed me. Quite the find for me today lol.

TennesseeTuxedo":31tg3u0k said:
Cute little bugger.
I know right, and i'll tell, I didn't even break a sweat carrying her, can't say that very often. I knew the second I picked her up she was well under a 50# feed bag :eek:

The 16 days early can account for a lot of the lower weight. Some bulls calves are small at birth becuase of just genetics, some are samll at birth due to the shorter gestation period. Growth to weaning may surpise you. We've had really small calves (not that small) that at weaning were right up with the herd average.

dun":1ikga7j4 said:
The 16 days early can account for a lot of the lower weight. Some bulls calves are small at birth becuase of just genetics, some are samll at birth due to the shorter gestation period. Growth to weaning may surpise you. We've had really small calves (not that small) that at weaning were right up with the herd average.
Yea I was figuring on the 16 days early as a low BW contributor, what kind of # per day would you put on an average for calves dun? I know they have that number figured out for us humans

lb to 1.5 a day.

And when people say never go for extremes - a calf in the 30s would fit that description. too small no matter how fast it grows. imo

Supa Dexta":dporwbvx said:
lb to 1.5 a day.

And when people say never go for extremes - a calf in the 30s would fit that description. too small no matter how fast it grows. imo
You are saying CED +13 (.88) and BW -0.8 (.95) is extreme??????

No I'm saying ignore the numbers and see whats in front of you. Keep breeding them that way and you'll have puppies. (as in keeping that calf and then stacking another low BW bull into it again)

Over a year later, and we have another early ABSOLUTE calf. Different momma, different cow family, first timer. But still early, this time by 14 days, another heifer calf, but a nice healthy 70# with plenty of spunk Just thought I'd share ...

better than I thought she would, her dam is due Dec. 5 to Angus Valley, anxious to see what she produces this second time around and what her gest. and BW are compared to last years calf

Latest posts