Katrina

Help Support CattleToday:

The fun never ends! :(

Looks like we might miss it in Orange Beach for a change. But it's going go directly over the ranch in Columbus, MS. The corn looks great this year. We were going to start combining Monday. Oh, well. Maybe some of it will still be standing.

M Gravlee":3y4e6pk1 said:
The fun never ends! :(

Looks like we might miss it in Orange Beach for a change. But it's going go directly over the ranch in Columbus, MS. The corn looks great this year. We were going to start combining Monday. Oh, well. Maybe some of it will still be standing.

sounds like ya need to fire up the machines now.... How long til it hits you guys?

Given the current strength of that beast, I wouldn't bet on corn or anything else standing. They're doing a lot of talking about shelters on the news, but frankly the only shelter I'd be in would be in another state. Andrew wasn't even as evil as this one. I'm prayin that God have mercy on them.

Latest update has winds at 175 mph and pressure down to 902 milibars. Not looking too good for us Louisiana folks. She is just beginning to turn more NW, but may be too little too late for New Orleans. If Katrina passes on the west of the city, it will devastate it - officials say could be a month before all the water is pumped out and electricity is restored. We are about 50 miles, as the crow flies, from New Orleans, and have been battening down the hatches all day. All you folks take care and stay safe.

Macon you better buy some hogs. There is no way the corn can stand 170 mph wind and rain and not be on the ground and probably under mud. I hope it misses you. We'll be praying for yall. Good luck.

Everyday our fourty below winters, blizzards, droughts and grasshopper infestations up north here look better ;-) :lol: ....

I was watching the TV updates--traffic jams and people lined up to get into New Orleans shelters....The only thing I could think about was that their are more people in downtown N.O. than in the whole state of Montana.....

Hope everybody makes it thru safely.........

Oldtimer":3l2p61og said:
Everyday our fourty below winters, blizzards, droughts and grasshopper infestations up north here look better ;-) :lol: ....

I was watching the TV updates--traffic jams and people lined up to get into New Orleans shelters....The only thing I could think about was that their are more people in downtown N.O. than in the whole state of Montana.....

Hope everybody makes it thru safely.........
Please send some cool air.
Please send electricity.
Louisiana will need both after the storm has passed through.
Thanks,

Ryder

PS.
We will send water if anyone wants it.

I was watching TV and they were saying that in a storm like this, most houses WILL lose their roofs, windows, even walls. Especially in a city like New Orleans, it could take over a month to get all of the water out of the city, and several months to get all power back. I know, its horrible news, but think of the 100,000+ that are stuck in the SuperDome for the next few days with no A/C, no plumbing, nothing.

Ryder":2hio5ush said:
PS.
We will send water if anyone wants it.

Ryder, I can use the water...but not at your expence. My prayers are with you folks. I'm due for the tail end of the beast...high winds and lots of rain. Hope you all make it thru ok.

I hope everybody made it through OK. She arrived in Tennessee this morning about midnight. We are getting lots of much needed rain. It is running off mostly. We need it nice and slow so it can soak in. I'm thankful for whatever we can get though. Pastures are really suffering now. Hopefully we will begin to get more in September. :)

Hope everybody and your animals made it through safely.

What do you guys do with your livestock when a hurricane is projected to hit your area? Do you pen them up or let them fend for themselves or do you take them somewhere safe?

9 ER":1e5dzqiz said:
Hope everybody and your animals made it through safely.

What do you guys do with your livestock when a hurricane is projected to hit your area? Do you pen them up or let them fend for themselves or do you take them somewhere safe?

Turn horses out on pasture that's clean and doesn't have any brush or trees around. Push your herds to something similar. God made 'em right. They just turn their butt to the wind and continue grazing. Don't put them inside. Watching the news tells what happens to things inside.

I'm gettin sick to my stomach watching some of the footage from the Gulf Coast. Been through a few, gave a helping hand to others in a few more, but this is unimaginable. Andrew made South Florida look like a nuke was dropped on it. This thing looks like a tsunami came in. The memories are becoming all too clear again. Anybody heard from Macon yet? I think Orange Beach got hit a little harder than he was expecting in the early part of this thread.

I live way up in North West Al. We got hit pretty hard ourselves. Trees and roof damage mostly. Down South they took a beating. Most of the power is off down as far as Macon. Folks in lower Mississippi are stranded on rooftops awaiting rescue. The damage was pretty severe near the coast. Thoughts and prayers to all those in the path.

Latest posts