Just thinking..........

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the groups that used to sing harmony songs so well. The Platters, Ames Brothers, Mills Brothers, Shenandoah, The Statler Brothers, etc.

I guess it sounds too much like gospel and not enough like rap for today's country music. I like the oak ridge boys too.

A good portion of today's music is just mixed/layered in a studio setting. Groups like the Platters, Statlers and Eagles could actually harmonize. When you go to a live show nowadays, the difference becomes very clear. My 2 cents is that in the past, music had to market the voice first. Today, they market the person first and just 'fix' the voice in studio. A guy like Roy Orbison (one of the best voices ever in my opinion) wouldn't even get a contract today (not handsome/marketable enough).

Then factor in the ego centered me world we live in today....well, a group of 4-5 people working together and sharing the fame is pretty rare (one direction or 5th harmony maybe???)

Classic country and classic rock both used to have groups back in the 70's and 80's. Most of them are getting old and some dying off. Most younger artists go solo but i don't care for modern music either country or rock.

On the classic rock side I miss groups like Fleetwood Mac and REO Speedwagon. I still tune in to the oldies station to hear groups like ZZ Top, Foreigner, and Steve Miller Band.

John SD":1bmn4uxc said:
On the classic rock side I miss groups like Fleetwood Mac and REO Speedwagon. I still tune in to the oldies station to hear groups like ZZ Top, Foreigner, and Steve Miller Band.

...and my personal favorite, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Craig Miller":ntcez3hl said:
I guess it sounds too much like gospel and not enough like rap for today's country music. I like the oak ridge boys too.

I like the Oak Ridge Boys too. Favorite is Yall Come Back Saloon. Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight is a close second. The Statler Brothers, the Righteous Brothers, Eagles, Shenandoah are all good harmony groups. Alabama was also pretty good. Closest in recent times IMO was the group Blackhawk. They harmonized well. But you're right Craig. This new generation wants to listen to all this crap that I don't like and most of it I can't even understand the words. They don't talk like I do. The best music IMO again, was from the 70s and 80s.

I've got 6 gospel music CD's loaded in the CD player. Listen to them almost exclusively. Got some awesome harmony.

I really miss the harmony singing. I am not inclined to listen to gospel but I would sure love to hear some good old fashion singing. I was watching Country Family Reunion last night and Bill Anderson and a couple of others were doing a song that had great harmony in it.

Todays singers can't sing Harmony and doesn't want too because in Harmony you have no star out front. They are to self absorbed to give up the lime lite. I sang with a group for a while and the lead and baritone were constantly battling to be out front.

M-5":3ejnm229 said:
Todays singers can't sing Harmony and doesn't want too because in Harmony you have no star out front. They are to self absorbed to give up the lime lite. I sang with a group for a while and the lead and baritone were constantly battling to be out front.
Nothing more fun singing with a group that harmonizes
Lucky for our little group there are no star wantbees as none of us are good enough on our own. Bought the brightest you get to shine with us is leading singing in a little country church.
Always loved listening to the Statler Bros the Sounds of Glory are awesome with Lanier Stevens as baritone.

There's still good harmony, just gotta look for it. Here are two of my current favorites--take a listen and see if you agree:

A sister duo, First Aid Kit, who write and sing beautiful country and folk music, and wrote this ode to Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons, Johnny Cash and June Carter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TzP-o4vhs (ps they are Swedish!)

And the band (duo) The Civil Wars: singing Barton Hollow at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExAM8D7cfbI
and I Had Me a Girl at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1qY8EB4JlQ
(unfortunately, the name was prescient and The Civil Wars are therefore currently on hiatus from singing together)

M-5":2ckjjtzx said:
Most can't even sing alone, let along harmonize with 3 or 4 others.

I find myself changing the radio stations away from the contemporary stations to ones that play more from the 70-80's country music. Just seems to me that most of the newer country music isn't country in my book, it's too produced and generic. My favorites are from the eras of Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Jr. I also like bands like Sawyer Brown, Alabama, Shenendoah. I like the music of the Black Hawk group too.

There was a group at our 9-1-1 festival last week called sweet tea trio. They can sing. You can check em out on YouTube if you want but I couldn't get the link to post.

Latest posts