Just my luck....

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
Several months ago I decided I wanted to try some registered stock. Nothing real big right now. In the future, who knows. Got a plan together and after a lot of thought, I bought (4) registered, breed Black Hereford heifers. (They were due any day. 3 of them calfed within a week. Beautiful black baldie bulls (their granddaddy and great granddaddy are HH Advance Hereford bulls). Seller said at the time I bought he'd get them transferred to me ASAP. I decided on names for the lil' guys and went to ABHA digital beef program to register them. Only one of the mommas was showing up. Contacted the seller via text and he said he'd misplaced the info on the other three and asked if I could send him the ear tags #'s and he'd get it done that day.

Fast forward 5 months. YES 5 MONTHS!!!!!! The other 3 mommas are still not transferred to me and I have 2 really nice bulls and a super heifer I need to get registered.

After 5 months and 28 texts to the seller begging and pleading (all I ever got was "I'm sorry been busy. Will do it today) I called the ABHA. The president actually took my call. I explained my situation and he asked "Did you buy those from xxxxxx in Virginia" and I said "Yes". His response was "Good Luck" and went on to explain. Side note: ABHA president was a super nice guy and believe he will help any way he/ABHA can.

Apparently this guy has stiffed me and some others on Black Herefords, another man on 20-some registered (red) Herefords and a couple other guys on registered Angus. Don't know what's happened but he has/had 5,000 acres leased in Virginia and some of the nicest cattle I have ever seen.

I knew I should have stuck with buying mutts at the sale barn...........

Hate to hear that. Maybe with a little pressure from the ABHA folks, you will get some traction. Hope it works out sooner than later for you. Not all of us from VA are bad though. :tiphat:

Or take him to court, seems like he's done this before, perhaps teh ABHA can get you in touch with those other people he stiffed.

I think you need to stick with known reputable breeders. If you are looking at getting into registered cattle I would assume that you want to sell progeny in the future it is important to start with quality females from reputable herds and improve from there. Just the name of "Black Herefords" would ring alarm bells for me. It is not over yet, you may get some resolution, I hope it works out for you.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Just the name of "Black Herefords" would ring alarm bells for me.

don't really understand the term "black herefords" aren't they black baldies. i didn't think herefords were black.

believe i would go visit this seller face to face.

Latest posts