just info new to the fourm and cattle biz

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
gingercows006.jpg
hi im Roy i live in south arkansas. Im just getting started in this getting ready to retire in a few years lookin for something to do with my time . My sisters son has kinda partnered with me we started fencing my place 20 acres jan 21 2010. We have almost half of it done working only on weekends sat mostly and an evening now and then and after dark several times. we have fenced up a 5 acre hay meadow and old garden spot my dad had . We have to date put up 14000+ feet of barb wire . we bought 4 cows tring to decide what breed to go with so have been watching this fourm for couple months . If i ask to many questions tell me to go streach some fence

Welcome.

B & C cattle co.":2r0hpugh said:
If i ask to many questions tell me to go streach some fence

If I did - which I wouldn't - would you stretch mine. ;-) :lol2:

As to your question to what breed I'd suggest approaching the decision two ways. One, is to raise whatever you like. Second, talk to some buyers and find out exactly what they are wanting and work toward that end. Quality is quality no matter the color.

With a 20 acre spread i would raise what i liked. I got more than 20 acres and still raise what i like. Don't make me no difference if any one else likes them or not.

JMHO but I find that cattle have no respect for fencing. So you need a plain wire, insulators and an electric fence. Plus a tester to make sure it is testing high enough to keep bulls apart.

Suzie Q":25fxk64m said:
JMHO but I find that cattle have no respect for fencing. So you need a plain wire, insulators and an electric fence. Plus a tester to make sure it is testing high enough to keep bulls apart.

Hmmmm. Mine never mess with the fence, except for that "best grass they ever tasted" on the other side of it! LOL

Valerie

I have 2 boundary fences with 2 different neighbours.

They do not have bulls in there all the time, just when they put them there when they feel like it. Without telling me of course.

The bulls will fight and will fight though a barbed wire fence. Put a live wire down there and peace reigns.

Latest posts