Just in time for Thanksgiving

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
When you get a chance to do something because of the dry weather, like get the place fertilized, you do it right? Thanksgiving week though, with chicken litter? Oy

After driving all around today on my 4wheeler, i can say for sure, our neighbors are not happy with us.... They will finish today and hopefully, we'll get some rain in the next few days...

Chicken litter stinks on your place and smells like money on mine.

Ideal situation is to spread litter just before a rain. Really knocks the smell down and helps get the nitrogen in the soil. Otherwise you lose some nitrogen to the air. But Mother nature does not always cooperate with the rain.

In my area, the non-farm (and even a few of the farm people) call DHEC (Department of Health and Environmental Control) to complain when you spread litter. After a while, you get use to the smell.

It will smell like money this spring.... and fingers crossed, the guy finishes today. He just has one pasture left..... then, it can rain. Looks like we'll like 1/4 inch today, then a dry day, then more rain later in the week... perfect. We are pretty dry right now.

It will smell like money this spring.... and fingers crossed, the guy finishes today. He just has one pasture left..... then, it can rain. Looks like we'll like 1/4 inch today, then a dry day, then more rain later in the week... perfect. We are pretty dry right now.
Is chicken litter worse than hog manure?

Is chicken litter worse than hog manure?
No. Chicken litter from a broiler operation is (mostly) dry and washes off easily. A dust cloud when you spread it directly from the house. Wear your mask!!! Hog manure - you can't wash that stink off. Wash up good, go to eat and you can smell it with every bite.

Now, chicken litter that has been saturated/wet for days prior to spreading - it can be memorable.

No. Chicken litter from a broiler operation is (mostly) dry and washes off easily. A dust cloud when you spread it directly from the house. Wear your mask!!! Hog manure - you can't wash that stink off. Wash up good, go to eat and you can smell it with every bite.

Now, chicken litter that has been saturated/wet for days prior to spreading - it can be memorable.
Dam Simme you're suppose to clean under your fingernails.

Last year they did bring us some wet stuff out of some barns standing in water. It was free because they needed a place to dump it. It smelled so bad. They'd dump it out and it would just spread out.. It sat for day till they could spread it. I stayed far away from it because once it was in your nose it was there for days..

Simme is right about not being able to wash it off. Got to find some horewater that stinks better and can cover it up....mostly over power it. Now you can get some litter that the ammonia is really getting it on. Burn your nose and water your eyes...but it doesn't stick to you the way hogs odor does. Just walk through a barn and your marked for the day.

Latest posts