Junky Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got a model 91 headgate that I'm gonna put on whatever I find unless I find a Priefert chute that already has the 91 headgate. Type of chute really doesn't matter to me as long as it's got a tailgate and squeezes. I really don't like a rope operated tailgate but I can make do as it's better than what I've got.

JMJ Farms":1yzseta6 said:
Texasmark":1yzseta6 said:
JMJ Farms":1yzseta6 said:
One exception. I haven't been able to find a used squeeze chute for much less than a new price. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new one.

TSC is running $4k for new HD ones. Neighbor spotted 2 HD units, one at local used dealer and other on Craigslist, both $1800 area. So they're out there.

I can buy a new Priefert S04 for $3600. No palp cage. No dolly. As far as used you won't find them on Craigslist in Middle Georgia. I do see some in Florida and Tennessee occasionally. We have a a Dept of Ag publication called the Market Bulletin. There will occasionally be one in there but they're usually in N Georgia and unless you can just pick up and leave right then the chute will be gone before you can usually get there. Neighbor bought one from another neighbor that was selling out. S01 w/ cage and dolly. Floor is rusted out. Pd $1800. Offered him his money back. But he declined.

Michael,
If you see a deal on a Priefert automatic squeeze chute in N. Ga or Tn, let me know. I might be interested.

sstterry":2oey2ap8 said:
JMJ Farms":2oey2ap8 said:
Texasmark":2oey2ap8 said:
TSC is running $4k for new HD ones. Neighbor spotted 2 HD units, one at local used dealer and other on Craigslist, both $1800 area. So they're out there.

I can buy a new Priefert S04 for $3600. No palp cage. No dolly. As far as used you won't find them on Craigslist in Middle Georgia. I do see some in Florida and Tennessee occasionally. We have a a Dept of Ag publication called the Market Bulletin. There will occasionally be one in there but they're usually in N Georgia and unless you can just pick up and leave right then the chute will be gone before you can usually get there. Neighbor bought one from another neighbor that was selling out. S01 w/ cage and dolly. Floor is rusted out. Pd $1800. Offered him his money back. But he declined.

Michael,
If you see a deal on a Priefert automatic squeeze chute in N. Ga or Tn, let me know. I might be interested.

Sure will.

JMJ Farms":10mwgx6q said:
I've got a model 91 headgate that I'm gonna put on whatever I find unless I find a Priefert chute that already has the 91 headgate. Type of chute really doesn't matter to me as long as it's got a tailgate and squeezes. I really don't like a rope operated tailgate but I can make do as it's better than what I've got.
Figure out what you want and don't want then just wait till a deal comes along on what you want.

True Grit Farms":324ebfqj said:
JMJ Farms":324ebfqj said:
Figure out what you want and don't want then just wait till a deal comes along on what you want.

Been waiting 6 years. I guess the moral of this story is that if I've made it the last 6 years without a squeeze then I can make it indefinitely. But boy the times I wish I had one. The headgates do serve the purpose however. Guess it's like comparing a Fiesta to a Mercedes.

JMJ Farms":3r1g2aiw said:
Been waiting 6 years. I guess the moral of this story is that if I've made it the last 6 years without a squeeze then I can make it indefinitely. But boy the times I wish I had one. The headgates do serve the purpose however. Guess it's like comparing a Fiesta to a Mercedes.
The longer you wait the closer you get to realizing you've gone long enough without..... ;-)

JMJ Farms":291a7t94 said:
True Grit Farms":291a7t94 said:
JMJ Farms":291a7t94 said:

I'll check around, I saw a couple sell in Madison last fall at a Angus dispersal sale. I think a couple sold last January in the big Dothan auction also. Every time a calf snatches it head out of my old WW I tell myself I need to buy a used Priefert. If I buy new it will be an Arrow, there's no manual chute out there as good.

True Grit Farms":31d2yndm said:
JMJ Farms":31d2yndm said:
True Grit Farms":31d2yndm said:

I'll check around, I saw a couple sell in Madison last fall at a Angus dispersal sale. I think a couple sold last January in the big Dothan auction also. Every time a calf snatches it head out of my old WW I tell myself I need to buy a used Priefert. If I buy new it will be an Arrow, there's no manual chute out there as good.

I'd appreciate that. The biggest reason I'd like a Priefert is due to the fact that I've got cows at 3 different farms and the Priefert dolly works good. But I'm sure my welder buddy down the road could fabricate something up for any chute if the price was right.

I'd rather not have one and contract it out than have junk. If you can't afford that better off not being in business.

Im lucky to get every thing done when all the equipment works and things go half butt right. The bad thing is I actually like working on stuff... just don't have the time.

Brute 23":3q7jsoaa said:
I'd rather not have one and contract it out than have junk. If you can't afford that better off not being in business.

Im lucky to get every thing done when all the equipment works and things go half butt right. The bad thing is I actually like working on stuff... just don't have the time.

I couldn't understand what you are saying because the silver spoon in your mouth distorted it.

M-5":3b88a4ij said:
Brute 23":3b88a4ij said:

I couldn't understand what you are saying because the silver spoon in your mouth distorted it.

:lol: I've never even seen a real silver spoon

Guilty as charged..
I found buying "junk" for cheap isn't going to get you anywhere.. Old Deere 2lungers may be collectible, but they're useless.

We've been buying low hour (under 4000hr) Masseys in good shape, spend 5K (CAD) on them, put a coat of paint on, run them for 10 years and they're still worth more.. I think any "modern" style tractor (good hydraulics, brakes, power steering, etc) that doesn't have a computer will hold its value for a long time.. One of the reasons the JD 3020's are holding value too. Also, lines of tractors that had common parts for a long time helps parts availablity, which makes them more desireable.. The Massey's had the same transmissions for years, the Masseys had the same transmissions for 3 decades.

Nesikep":hx4xg25n said:
Guilty as charged..
I found buying "junk" for cheap isn't going to get you anywhere.. Old Deere 2lungers may be collectible, but they're useless.

We've been buying low hour (under 4000hr) Masseys in good shape, spend 5K (CAD) on them, put a coat of paint on, run them for 10 years and they're still worth more.. I think any "modern" style tractor (good hydraulics, brakes, power steering, etc) that doesn't have a computer will hold its value for a long time.. One of the reasons the JD 3020's are holding value too. Also, lines of tractors that had common parts for a long time helps parts availablity, which makes them more desireable.. The Massey's had the same transmissions for years, the Masseys had the same transmissions for 3 decades.

You said it right. I don't mind buying stuff, or even working on used stuff if it will hold its value. I don't like money pits that still aren't worth any thing after you dump money in them. Its about value... not cost.

Brute 23":1cp2gkv6 said:

You won't contract it out around here. Nobody to contract it out to. I can afford a new chute. But is it justified? I've got 5 headgates at different locations. Each one will catch and hold a cow almost flawlessly. I can doctor heads, eyes, navels, nuts, and tits. A squeeze would be mighty nice but for me is a "want" not a necessity.

I understand that we are only talking about $3-5k. Not much money. But when you start with nothing like I did you better buy what you need before you buy what you want. Overspending will put you out of business quicker than anything else will.

JMJ Farms":3n32qwo8 said:
Brute 23":3n32qwo8 said:

You won't contract it out around here. Nobody to contract it out to. I can afford a new chute. But is it justified? I've got 5 headgates at different locations. Each one will catch and hold a cow almost flawlessly. I can doctor heads, eyes, navels, nuts, and tits. A squeeze would be mighty nice but for me is a "want" not a necessity.

I understand that we are only talking about $3-5k. Not much money. But when you start with nothing like I did you better buy what you need before you buy what you want. Overspending will put you out of business quicker than anything else will.
Not when your spending other people's money. You sound like a Senator from CA, after all $3-5k is only crumbs.

True Grit Farms":sh3fm7eb said:
JMJ Farms":sh3fm7eb said:
Brute 23":sh3fm7eb said:

Not when your spending other people's money. You sound like a Senator from CA, after all $3-5k is only crumbs.

You totally missed what they were saying TGF.

Brute 23":15hp8l3c said:
True Grit Farms":15hp8l3c said:
JMJ Farms":15hp8l3c said:

You totally missed what they were saying TGF.

It's more than crumbs to me. That's why I haven't spent it. But not on the same level as most equipment.