Junk small appliances

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie?

Reaction score
We've had enough . I could fill a land fill with irons, vacuums, hair dryers, etc. I'm on the hunt for a world class iron at the moment. Any suggestions? If it has plastic on it and cost less than 50 bucks , I'm not interested. No imported junk.

ollie?":2l7l816g said:
We've had enough . I could fill a land fill with irons, vacuums, hair dryers, etc. I'm on the hunt for a world class iron at the moment. Any suggestions? If it has plastic on it and cost less than 50 bucks , I'm not interested. No imported junk.

Good luck in your search. I finally threw away my old one (and I'm serious about "old") and got a GE at Wal-Mart. I bought the highest priced one; paid $50 for it and it's not making me happy. I may start taking the few things that get ironed to the laundry.

I guess frankie I'll have to go to yard sales or ebay and get a 75 year old one and rebuild it. I mean these new chinese pieces of junk are worthless. What's your plan? Is there not an Iron someone can buy for $200.00 that works and that's made here?

ollie?":3nd7qbnw said:
I guess frankie I'll have to go to yard sales or ebay and get a 75 year old one and rebuild it. I mean these new chinese pieces of junk are worthless. What's your plan? Is there not an Iron someone can buy for $200.00 that works and that's made here?

Not much gets ironed around here, so I'll use my new iron when necessary, but I took some things to the laundry recently. I think it cost me $5 for two shirts and a pair of jeans. I can live with that price. The gas getting to and from town probably cost me more than the laundry!

My wife bought a Rowenta brand. Made in Germany. I know thats not what you asked but it works. Try Target.

It seems to do a good job and could pay Frankie back in less than 10 trips if she counts the cost of fuel.

Wewild":1w15bpbg said:
My wife bought a Rowenta brand. Made in Germany. I know thats not what you asked but it works. Try Target.

It seems to do a good job and could pay Frankie back in less than 10 trips if she counts the cost of fuel.

Yeah, but I'll make those trips into town anyway. Plus, my time is really valuable. ;-)

Here are some reviews of that brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Rowenta-DM-273-Po ... B000050FZZ

If you have a Salvation army thrift store, church yard sales, other yard sales......... try those.

I have an old one like that and I think Mom has several. Mine is so old it doesn't even have a mister on it.

Probably 99% of modern-day small appliances are considered "disposable". Don't fret too much about it...

I usually buy a new coffee maker every 12-18 months...usually pay under $25 for one. Pretty cheap for a minimum of 365 pots of coffee per year.

Several months ago I had to buy a new small microwave for my office. Found a small one at Sam's Club for $39.95...almost blew me away! Couldn't believe it! It works great...if it lasts a year, that would be great too.

Buy a new computer system about every 3-4 years; new "all-in-one" printer unit about every 2-3 years. End up with lot more power and less price. Just more of the "expendable tools and supplies" accounting category to run a business... We probably are on computer 6-8 hours a day (are 2 of us) and print probably 500-750 pages a month on printer...do all of our advertising and marketing literature, business cards, etc., plus print out all important e-mails for hardcopy records.

All costs of doing business...lol.

Frankie":1pncfmbq said:
Wewild":1pncfmbq said:

Yeah, but I'll make those trips into town anyway. Plus, my time is really valuable. ;-)

Here are some reviews of that brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Rowenta-DM-273-Po ... B000050FZZ

I don't recall giving the model just the brand. Try going up the brand list alot and find our model.

I know your time is as valuable as the price you put on it.

I pay $20 a week for my wife not to have to iron my clothes.

I change clothes every day. Some time twice on the weekends.

What did you think of my Lim heifer bull? PM me if you think it's needed.

ollie?":2fwatda4 said:

Get one of these models and you'll use much less electricity with no repair bills EVER!

irons.jpg

MikeC":2ym5m0bd said:
ollie?":2ym5m0bd said:

Get one of these models and you'll use much less electricity with no repair bills EVER!

irons.jpg
Those are sad Mike. ;-) Reckon we need to go into the high end electric steam iron business?

My Mom swore she had one was heated(somehow) with gasoline.... Doesn't sound like a good idea to me..

ollie?

Call up your local tailor shop and ask them where they buy their steam iron from. Very expensive - I would be surprized if they are under 500 bucks - but they last a life time and can put a crease on a set of Tough Duck coveralls that would make a drill sergeant proud.

Your local dry cleaner may have a line on one - not the big steam bed - but the steam iron.

Oh, I have one - 30 years old - clunky and no name on it anywhere - otherwise I would give you the name. We use it on a weekly basis. The original hose to the water tank is still working fine.

I cannot get a pic at this time - I am at least 2000 miles from home and probably not returning for at least another 2 months.

Bought it at a military sale - a long time ago.

Bez>

Quick edit - ollie?, I know your family demographics and the upcoming requirements. Trust me this will be money well spent over the next approximately 20 years of fancy clothes and dating and "stuff".

You truly are a wealthy / blessed man. Remember that and spend the cash for them!!

:D

BB

ollie?":2u324333 said:
We've had enough . I could fill a land fill with irons, vacuums, hair dryers, etc.

I read this thread all the way through and it actually has me laughing at myself. I got on that same kick not long ago. It wasn't irons tho. It was knives.

Check out the old worn out Marbles knives on eBay. They sell for twice as much now as they did when they were new, made in America. The brand new ones made overseas are dirt cheap.

Grandaddy told me when I was a kid to breath onto a knife blade. If your breath fogs the blade, don't buy it. I believe the exact words he used were "The steel is no count if you can see your breath."

Bez>":1u5rce7r said:
I cannot get a pic at this time - I am at least 2000 miles from home and probably not returning for at least another 2 months.

BB
Thanks Bez. I appreciate you and your sacrifices. Thanks for the line on an iron. I'll check commercial irons out.

Backhoe, I'm also sick of cheap knives. I've lost 2 case XX (1948 to 1963models I think) in the last few years. I have a piece of junk oldtimer in my pocket now. The metal is fair but the rest of the knife should have been castrated so it couldn't reproduce. Them old knives are high though. Last time I looked on ebay, my old knives were 400 bucks.

Latest posts