Farming with junk

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":22euggk3 said:
Jogeephus":22euggk3 said:
I just paid my tag bills and was wondering if its even worth owning a trailer. Mine needs some new boards and your post reminds me of one of my biggest fears. A trailer is handy to own but I think it would be cheaper in the long run - at least in terms of stress and aggravation just to pay someone else to haul them when they needed hauling.
Jo it's dirt cheap over here. Can't remember off the top of my head but seems like it's only about $7.00 to register a cattle trailer.

Tags aren't bad here but they are a just one more thing to have to mess with. Seems like just yesterday I put the stickers on the tags and now I'm doing it again. I think ours are around $14/year. But when you figure the tires and maintenance I don't know if I wouldn't be better off paying a friend to haul the for me. When I do this its not expensive and he helps sort and load them and this costs less than two tires.

Oh, and I'm really dreading replacing the boards in my trailer.

certified junk farmer here .my list of needed fixed is as long as from one corner of this place to the next to the next an so on.

It's definitely a struggle to keep everything up and running in good shape. Especially if you have a fulltime off the farm job. Some things we're guilty of over-fixing and some things just get fixed. I'd like to think we don't run anything into the ground or use it beyond reason. It's amazing some of the "repairs" I've seen others come up with though. The single biggest favor IMO that you can do yourself is to build a shop. You'll definitely be more comfortable and that usually means you'll go the extra step to fix it the right way.

i keep telling my wife it aint gonna fix itself...youll pay today or youll pay on the side of the road another day..cow with a foot ground off worth much

I have worked with junk and there is still some around the place. I also have a full time off the farm job. That job pays pretty well so the last few years when money was good with the cows I invested in up grading things. The tractor, working pens, and trailer made it so I didn't show a profit from the cows. And I will never have to replace them in my life time.

Arkie, Agreed on a good shop, especially in areas where you get a lot of winter! we have a 900 sq ft shop with floor heat.. pretty nice to work in

floor heat wow ! my shop floor is 30 yrs old an cold as concrete can get in winter my roof stays wram

mooo":lygfxssy said:
floor heat wow ! my shop floor is 30 yrs old an cold as concrete can get in winter my roof stays wram

Concrete shop floor?! I'm so used to rolling around in the dirt in ours not sure if my system could handle concrete.

Jake":wvzw5480 said:
mooo":wvzw5480 said:

Concrete shop floor?! I'm so used to rolling around in the dirt in ours not sure if my system could handle concrete.

concrete is for wussies , I have a piece of carpet I lay on the wet grass

M-5":1liuorpe said:
Jake":1liuorpe said:
mooo":1liuorpe said:

I usually have an oily piece of cardboard I lay in the dirt with.

Jake":2l5mbtnn said:
M-5":2l5mbtnn said:
Jake":2l5mbtnn said:

I usually have an oily piece of cardboard I lay in the dirt with.

my cardboard burnt up using the welder and cutting torch

Equipment has been my biggest investment. Spent thousands on working oens and corrals but that was doing the labor myself. I bought my trailer used. Come to find out the nexk had been rigged with cheap oil field pipe. Bent 1/2 mile from the vets office and started scraping on the pavement. What a nightmare. Luckily I was only going 10 miles an hour when it happened. Took it and had the trailer guys triple enforce a new neck. The FIRST thing I DID do when I bought that trailer was replace the floor and bought new tires. My grandpa had a bull put his foot through the floor of a trailer one time and I never understood driving 1000s of pounds of carttle on old tires.

Latest posts