Junk calves

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Sky, I must have been buying too many junk calves for too long. A couple guys at the stockyard yesterday told me they had some small junk calves they were bringing next week for me to buy.
Does anyone besides Sky and I buy the 250-350lb thin rough calves and make them better? I really like getting them. Tough and usually when I get them going they grow really well.

kenny thomas":2b5h2s3e said:
Sky, I must have been buying too many junk calves for too long. A couple guys at the stockyard yesterday told me they had some small junk calves they were bringing next week for me to buy.
Does anyone besides Sky and I buy the 250-350lb thin rough calves and make them better? I really like getting them. Tough and usually when I get them going they grow really well.

I'm in the club.

Bigfoot":18n7x16c said:
kenny thomas":18n7x16c said:

I'm in the club.
Another one for the club, although I bought very few this year. Prices were too high earlier to buy many and health has made me miss the cheaper calves lately, hopefully next month I can pick up a few.

I would like to be in the club but never have time to go to the sale. Kenny how about u buy me a load of those calves for around 400$ each :D

pricefarm":3fboa5xj said:
I would like to be in the club but never have time to go to the sale. Kenny how about u buy me a load of those calves for around 400$ each :D
If they go for $400 im pretty sure I still can find room for them. :nod:

kenny thomas":hrf6smo9 said:
pricefarm":hrf6smo9 said:
If they go for $400 im pretty sure I still can find room for them. :nod:

What are calves like that going for?

$1.40 to $2.30 lb. Its all according to who wants in the club each week. Had a few this week that brought less than $1.00 a lb but they sure were bad. And I am traveling at work this week so I didn't buy any yesterday.

You guys must have been falling all over each other for one of mine.. He was 385 lbs and you guys bid and bid until even I was blue in the face.. hammer went down at $3.75

I've got a neighbor that loves to buy junk bull calves. He cuts them and puts a little weight on them and hauls them back later. Usually makes some money on every load.

kenny thomas":10o18jyz said:

:lol2: I love those small calves like that. I like picking that money up off the table. I bought a few this year that were wormy and full of ring worm. Yea the workers that unload and tag the cattle at blackstone tend to tell me what pen to go check out to find those diamonds in the ruff :lol2: I tell you K.T. my personal favorite ones are the char angus crosses those things really grow fast if you clean them up and give them the right feed and good grass. I will buy everyone I can find.

Dogs and Cows":2eznoq5c said:
kenny thomas":2eznoq5c said:

Hey Kenny, what is your death loss doing this? Also, what do you do for the calves when you get them (vaccinations, meds, etc.) Thanks!!

Tim

Not kenny and dont know his death loss but for me soon as they get off the trailer they go into the chute or head gate get vaccinations,banded and antibiotics if I think they are getting sick or sick. I do not do pour on wormers on them only injected worm meds. I haven't been fooling with bottle calves so pretty minimal now as I have all the drugs on hand to really help them out.

Dogs and Cows":37ge14f9 said:
kenny thomas":37ge14f9 said:

Hey Kenny, what is your death loss doing this? Also, what do you do for the calves when you get them (vaccinations, meds, etc.) Thanks!!

Tim

Not KT but here is mine. 2.5% death loss, too high in my opinion but have been told 3% is about average. Unless I see a obvious problem I usually hit them with LA 300 on arrival, worm and sometimes vitamin shots. Usually give good feed and hay, let them get eating good and about a week later vaccinate. If something looks wrong other than poor nutrition on arrival I may hit with a more powerful med. I usually try to by thin calves or what my buddy calls a hard calf, try to stay away from one that looks sick. Some of the best money I have made is on thin calves than had good frame.

Just about all the calves I buy are junk. From 300 pounds on up. I've got some 4wts from the last month that I have as low as $50-80/cwt in. I try not to buy anything sick. I've bought around 40 head of junk in the last month that averaged around 500 pounds and I'm in for around $130/cwt average right now. After a month or so they look like totally different calves.

Dogs and Cows":2v19bire said:
kenny thomas":2v19bire said:

Tim
My death loss is almost 0%. My pulls are almost 0%. First, the kind I buy are the tough calves that have not been treated well. Seems like they do not stress as bad as the tender ones. Second the moment I unload them at my barn they go down the chute and recieve Inforce 3 nasal, Presponse, Alpha 7, cydectin injectable, implanted with Ralgro and the bull calves are castrated. They are then turned into the weaning lot with plenty of good leafy hay and good water. I do not give them any feed until the 3rd day. Usually I turn them out with other calves on the 4th day.

tom4018":1z1bgz7f said:
Dogs and Cows":1z1bgz7f said:
kenny thomas":1z1bgz7f said:

Tim

Not KT but here is mine. 2.5% death loss, too high in my opinion but have been told 3% is about average. Unless I see a obvious problem I usually hit them with LA 300 on arrival, worm and sometimes vitamin shots. Usually give good feed and hay, let them get eating good and about a week later vaccinate. If something looks wrong other than poor nutrition on arrival I may hit with a more powerful med. I usually try to by thin calves or what my buddy calls a hard calf, try to stay away from one that looks sick. Some of the best money I have made is on thin calves than had good frame.
Tom, not sure what you use but the reason I vaccinate with the Inforce 3 and presponse as soon as I bring them in is so they will not get sick. I feel that waiting is really taking a chance.

kenny thomas":pus68kc8 said:
[as soon as I bring them in is so they will not get sick. I feel that waiting is really taking a chance.

I agree and especially as high as they were I wouldn't take a chance when you can use some cheap insurance " vaccines "

Tom, not sure what you use but the reason I vaccinate with the Inforce 3 and presponse as soon as I bring them in is so they will not get sick. I feel that waiting is really taking a chance.[/quote]

We use a killed vaccine, did them as you do before and had problems. Vet suggested hitting everything with Antibiotic on arrival and vaccinate after it is out of the system. Was told vaccines and antibiotics should not be given together. Seen it done many ways and what seem to work good for one group may not work on the next group.

Tom, I wonder if the virus' are the same where you are at as here? I do agree that the vet should know whats best for your area. Lucky_P is the one that got me started on this procedure and it sure has worked for me.

Latest posts