JSCunn or Anyone....

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckie":y0xja8gb said:
JScunn, you talked about doing a blood test to determine who the sire of the calf was. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how expensive this is?

I have sent hair samples to U. Cal/Davis for sire/dam confirmation. $25 bucks for the DNA test. Includes test for calf, dam and sire. Goes through the Charolais Assoc.

Chuckie,
When I mentioned the blood test I may have been overstating what I knew. Let me tell you the story. A neighbor is putting in embryos for another ranch he was turning the recips out with the other cows & a bull on the same day he put the embryos in. I asked him about the calving and knowing who the sire is (I know the embryos are ~ 7 days old but a cow can be a week early or late easy). He said that if there were any doubt they did a DNA test. I just assumed they drew blood since the Registration paper for certain animals says Blood Typed under it. I have no idea what a blood test costs but I would check with a Extension service in your state. Tennessee does have a University in it somewhere does it other than the collection of felons in Knoxville. Sorry I'm a gator. You know I'm kidding. PM me if you have any news about you new acquistions it has been a while.

I tried to find it in the Angus Assoc. site, but I am not sure what they list it as. I tried several different listings. I'll try to do another search and see what I can come up with unless someone else knows more.
JSCunn, everything is about the same here. Nothing new going on. Finally got the three girls from the sale A.I.ed this past weekend. I hate being at the mercy of another. You lose control of the timing and the situation. I am not sure if it will turn out OK. But we are going to turn out the young bull we bought last fall with the girls so that we don't miss any more time. Did the A.I.ing come out OK on your cows?

Chuckie":1bas66mv said:
I tried to find it in the Angus Assoc. site, but I am not sure what they list it as. I tried several different listings. I'll try to do another search and see what I can come up with unless someone else knows more.
JSCunn, everything is about the same here. Nothing new going on. Finally got the three girls from the sale A.I.ed this past weekend. I hate being at the mercy of another. You lose control of the timing and the situation. I am not sure if it will turn out OK. But we are going to turn out the young bull we bought last fall with the girls so that we don't miss any more time. Did the A.I.ing come out OK on your cows?

The Angus Association keeps DNA samples on any animal used AI or being flushed. Then if there's a question about the sire or dam of the calf, you can send in a sample for comparison. I don't know what it costs; I'd suggest you email your Angus Regional Manager and fill him in on the story. You should be able to find his email on the Angus site. Or just email the Association; they've always been good about responding to my emails.

We had about the same luck. We AIed her and the tech said everything felt perfect. 21 days later she was riding a cull cow that was in the pen with her and the steer with them was riding just the cull cow too. We turned her out in the young cow pasture and a couple of cows rode the heifer. The bull didn't seem interested. Two months later the bull had a hip injury and we have to put all the cows together with the mature cow bull. I hope she is already bred to the first bull but we will find out in about 6-7 months.

AAA contracts with MMI Genomics for DNA testing. $20 per sample. Look up "DNA testing" on the angus site search. You order cards from AAA and put a drop of blood from the ear on the test card. Send it off in the mail along with $20 and wait. By the way, for parentage verification there must be a sample of the sire and/or dam on file. If the records are on file, the registration info will include the statement "DNA typed"

Lee

Thanks Lee. I wrote yesterday, hoping to have an answer this morning. I will try DNA testing in the search box.
JSCunn, I hope your heifer is bred. Sorry to hear your bull had injured his hip. Will he be OK? Do you know how he did it? Hopefully all the fooling around going on in your pasture is out of testing things out. Seems the bull would be the one interested if she had not caught when you A.I.'ed. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Latest posts