John Deere MX10

Help Support CattleToday:

spg

Reaction score
Anyone have a JD MX10, do you like it or hate it?.........THink Im about to pick one up.....

Since in 10 footers the HX is the heaviest one they make it should be a pretty good cutter

The biggest problem is if a gear box goes out you have to buy the complete gearbox as John Deere has no parts available for them and the gear box is $1500. My neighbor found this out last year and was not real happy..

I got one, never been really happy with the cut. It does not pickup the grass that the tractor ran over. Not a smooth look to it after that grass springs back up. They gave me a set of MX blades to put on it, more lift, it helped some but never have been really satisfied.

jltrent":2oz1byuy said:
The biggest problem is if a gear box goes out you have to buy the complete gearbox as John Deere has no parts available for them and the gear box is $1500. My neighbor found this out last year and was not real happy..
That's just nuts. I got a new gearbox for a 8 foot Bush hog last year. 300 bucks. The 2 gears that I needed inside were 400 so I replaced the whole thing.

Just picked up a new one, hopefully it will hold up.

Keep it well greased. Kind of surprising how long they will lats with no abuse and adquate grease.

dun":32ypfr1y said:
jltrent":32ypfr1y said:
That's just nuts. I got a new gearbox for a 8 foot Bush hog last year. 300 bucks. The 2 gears that I needed inside were 400 so I replaced the whole thing.

Where from Dun? Buddy has been looking for a center box for his 8' 3pt. Can't recall the model right now.

I'll let y'all know in a few weeks how it works out for me..........I have the 2014 MX10 hopefully the gearboxes will hold up, I'll probably be taking it easy since I read all the issues with the gearboxes, the problems must have been from abuse I'm assuming.

spg":2ux42981 said:
I'll let y'all know in a few weeks how it works out for me..........I have the 2014 MX10 hopefully the gearboxes will hold up, I'll probably be taking it easy since I read all the issues with the gearboxes, the problems must have been from abuse I'm assuming.
With a quality hog the gearbox issues are almost certainly from abuse (or over estimating it's ability whihc develops into abuse). Getting it new will eliminate the previous owners careless/abusive use so it's all back to you and how you use it. The occasional grinding in the dirt/rocks or hitting a stump just right (or wrong) can;t alwasy be avoided. I think back to how much mooney something costs and I tend to use it more judiciously. Some folks think I'm anal, but when I law up any piece of equipment that has accumulated chaff/grass I clean it off. A broom and a water hose w/nozzle will do wonders for making stuff not rust out and last a lot longer.

Agree Dun, its amazing what a pressure washer, wax, and manual labor will do for the longevity of equipment........Everyone that comes in my shop always comments ''how do you keep all your stuff this clean'' my answer is clean it after it gets used, simple.

I like mine it's been abused and still does the job. Mine has the chains front and rear and high lift blades. I pressure wash and spray a oil fuel mixture on all my equipment.

Anyone have a JD MX10, do you like it or hate it?.........THink Im about to pick one up.....
They mow great. Only problem gear box replace cost around $1400.00. Just broke two of them. The shaft that the blades hook to cost over $1000.00. I hit a stump and broke the gears in two of the boxes. The clutch slipped and it still broke it. We had rock get stuck between the blade and housing 5 years ago and broke the gears in one box that time. We run it with 6115M John Deere. It's cranking 100 horsepower power. We have 10ft bush hog. Had bearing go out. Cheap and easy to fix. Come paired to the Deere

Factory gearboxes had issues. Our had a break in the gearbox when under warrantee and dealer replaced the whole gearbox at no cost and it was noticeably different than the original. Our neighbor borrowed it two years ago to cut corn stalks and broke the output shaft to the turtle. It's been a 2 year journey to finally get it fixed. Dealer sent a new shaft and the blades stated hitting each other. Finally figured out we ordered the correct part number, but the physical part in the box was wrong and for an MX8 with a different gear ratio. The dealer has ordered a new shaft twice with the wrong part coming in both times. If I bought another new on would probably look at Bush Hog or Rhino.

Latest posts